Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
magnolia tree

Posted by KCmom4 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 21:23

I live in Missouri and Magnolia tree us brown and the leaves are falling off like I have never seen before.
Is it because of the winter we had?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: magnolia tree

I'd guess so. My Little Gem cultivar is doing likewise. A guy up the road has two good sized magnolias (I'd always assumed regular 'ol Grandiflora just 'cause of how large they were… probably 40' at least). They're dead as doornails this spring--really sad. I can only assume that whatever cultivar they were, it didn't like a couple weeks in the single digits.

But to answer your question, so long as the majority of the leaves are still green--and assuming you don't have any sort of insects and/or disease--I'd attribute it to the winter and not worry too much. That's what I'm doing, anyway. ;-)

o

Look for swollen buds. My evergreen Mags have shed their leaves, but have swollen buds, for new leaves. If there are no swollen buds, sorry but it's a goner.

o

I presume you mean an evergreen Southern Magnolia? (Magnolia grandiflora)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 1:13

'Little Gem' burns in my part of Zone 8 so I would certainly expect damage in Zone 6..

o

I am in Ohio and so I assume we are both around the same zone. This is the northernmost limits for most Magnolias, esp. M. grandiflora. This winter was just too much for many of them.

Your Magnolia may leaf out again. Many trees can and do leaf out after their foliage has been killed by cold. You will have to wait and see.

Linda

o

Famartin, I mean Mag Grandiflora, the regular southern Mag, and my Brackens Brown Beauty. The Bracken's brown's buds got ugly over the last evening or 2. I think it will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here