Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

When the heck was Nyssa Sylvatica leaf out?!?

This is the tree I am most likely to kill. I have even found a way to keep cacti growing in the yard for goodness sake lol. How long do I need to wait to see if my Nyssa's leaf out?!?!?!?

Last year I moved a small Nyssa which had died back to the ground before and planted a potted "wildfire" Nyssa sylvatica late last spring. Looked fine all summer.

Winter had more snow than normal and was a bit below average for temp but I don't recall any sub zero days.

Comments (11)

• arktrees
    13 years ago

toronado,
    Don't sweat it yet. Ours, nor the seedlings I have given to friends the last couple years are doing anything yet. They are one of the last to leaf.

Arktrees

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. Nyssa is difficult for me to identify especially w/o leaves. I was almost ready to sneak down to the botanical garden and check on theirs.

• j0nd03
    13 years ago

Mine just broke bud 3 days ago here. Buds should be swelling on yours probably, though. Mine were swollen for the last week or so before the first leaves emerged recently.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Arktrees, I was just looking this evening at my 'big one' the four footer. If I stare hard enough I think the buds look bigger than last week. Probably just my eyes zooming in so nothing yet.

Thank you for the updates.

Toronado

• bschodek_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi all, I found this to be a rather pertinent topic for me.

I had planted a 2" caliper Nyssa Sylvatica last June, and it did alright last summer. Now, after the brutal winter we had, this tree has not leafed out yet (here in north central MA).

I did some test twig cuts, with unfortunately some dead, and the other cuts showed some pale greenish-yellow twig centers... I'm nervous, and wondering if this tree has died?

The buds haven't really filled out yet... May7th. eek. Fortunately, My American Sycamore hasn't leafed out yet either, and usually won't until another 2 weeks from now, which is usually my last tree to leaf out.

Is there still hope for my Tupelo?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine has apparently suffered some die back. Dormant buds down on the trunk are the only things showing life. I'll see how they do this summer, maybe cut off the old top and see if the new growth has die back next year.

If so here comes the shovel of death!

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Same here at my house. Central leader died about halfway up the 10 foot stem. Lower branches are leafing out and a BUNCH of very low suckers coming off the bottom of the trunk. I also planted mine last September and it did OK last year. We were in drought and I diligently watered but it had no fall color and held its leaves until late November and then they turned brown and fell. Very disappointing. Sounds like this was not a good winter nationwide for the black gum.

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

I planted one in the fall a few falls ago and it didn't make it to the next spring. I think I'm going to try and plant one in the spring next time around.

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

Well I didn't listen to my advise. Planted one last October...it's already leafing out! Just sprouted this week :)

If anyone has other types, I'd like to see pics. "Sheri's Cloud" in particular.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Just for records purposes, we talked about this in a different thread also:

With our WARM winter and spring my nyssa began leafing out a mid march this year.