Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not sure if oak tree is dead?

Posted by marinewife2009 SC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 21:52

Hello!

There is an oak tree in my back yard that was apparently transplanted there (from the front) by the previous owners. I am not sure what exactly is wrong with it, but it definitely is not blooming as it should! I was wondering if any experts out there could look at the pictures and tell me if it is a lost cause . . . if not, what should we do with it? If you click on the pic below, it will take you to the picasa album.

Dead Tree

It has started to flower just a bit as spring has started here in South Carolina. But it seems very diseased!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give as I am new to gardening (and to the forum!) :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not sure if oak tree is dead?

Whatever that bondage is that's encasing the rootball is the likely cause.

tj

o

What is that stuff on the ground. I can't tell if it's pieces of tile or wood or what. I guess that's what TJ is talking about. Whatever it is, does it extend underground?

o

If you're getting green new growth it's not dead, but the black on the trunk bottom is weird, I assumed those were rocks on the soil.Is it a live oak? They lose their leaves in spring and put out new ones, did it defoliate? I can't see anything that would worry me if it were my tree besides the black on the trunk,maybe my eyeballs are not working as good as someone elses.

o

A good indicator that a plant is alive is when it flowers.

I suspect the black stuff on the trunk is from a brush fire. And that stuff around the trunk all looks bad. Poor thing just has obstacle after obstacle thrown at it, and it keeps going on. A lesson for all of us!

Dan

o

I apologize for taking so long in responding! Crazy few days of meetings. Anyway, I think that we probably need to look at what the bondage at the bottom of the tree is. I will let you all know what the status is after we excavate around the trunk!

@Poaky, it simply does not grow at all. I realize that an oak tree would lose its leaves and then grow back, but each year it only produces a teeny tiny bit of leaves and then stagnates. That is why I am concerned.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

o

It might need to be inoculated with soil fungus from under a healthy oak tree. Then keep it mulched.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here