Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish_gw

Another question about cutting off a crabapple sucker

coatfetish
11 years ago

Hi,

I posted a question about the sucker on my crabapple, and I got good advice which I followed. Now I'd like to ask a few more questions.

Because the sucker was so large I had to use a bow saw to remove it (I don't have a pruning saw). I cut the sucker off about 10" - 12" from ground level - should I go back and cut that even closer to the ground? Does it matter? (just awkward to get to, but I could do it I think) The sucker was of a regular apple - stock from below the graft I guess.

My next question is, do I need to coat the cut end with anything? I haven't yet. (just cut it late today).

Last question - the sucker was large. 4" in diameter and 18 feet tall. It had two rather large 9' branches of it's own and those branches had forked. I had to chop it up with a lopper to pull it out from within the tree! There are two or three more crabapple branches I'd ultimately like to remove. Should I wait until next year so I don't stress the tree anymore? The tree is about 15 yrs old and I think full grown? I can post pics of the tree and the branches I want to remove if that will help.

Many thanks for any replies and help!
~ Cindy ~

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Pictures absolutely required.

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep - just went out and took some - will post in a little bit!

Ok, here are pics and explanations. I apologize if there are too many pics, but they articulate better than me sometimes! lol

Here is the apple tree sucker and one of it's branches that I cut off (darn, I forgot to take a pic of the cut and the "stump" left, I can add one if you like)

This post was edited by coatfetish on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 9:11

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, but I only get the option to add one pic per post so I have to keep posting to show pics of the other branches. How do you add multiple pics? If I add a second pic, it simply replaces the first.
    So here's another one; it is small and rubs

This post was edited by coatfetish on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 9:23

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here is one that rubs AND grows backward into the center of the tree

This post was edited by coatfetish on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 9:43

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here is one I kept for a long time because I liked the sculptural shape, but my 6' 3" friends always hits his head on it. I will post just a pic too, of where it joins the tree - there are two other branches that join there.

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

btw, it had other sub branches - I trimmed them off yesterday thinking I might be able to cut this branch out without adding too much stress to the tree. The branch is the connection to the right...

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the cut from the sucker - I have more tiny suckers to cut this year too. Do I need to cut this closer to the ground, and do I leave it plain or do I coat it with something?

Thank you for any help!
    ~ Cindy ~

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lastly (I promise!) here is an overall pic of the tree. It's raining out so it was hard to get good lighting, I hope it's ok.
    Oh, and I meant to add - do you think I can take anything besides the original sucker off this year without over stressing the tree? My reading says to wait until mid August or winter during the dormant time, no problem there - but I want to make the tree healthier, not stress it. Thank you!

This post was edited by coatfetish on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 9:46

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Cut as close to ground level as possible. Keep saw where you can find it. New suckers happily replace old. Removing in mid-growing season can equate to slightly less vigorous regrowth. No paint.

+oM

• coatfetish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! Actually I keep the saw in my car because I go driftwood "hunting" along the river banks - lol
    I'll be sure to get all other suckers while they are very small so I don't have this problem again, and I will do so in the mid season as you suggest. Much appreciated!
    ~ Cindy ~