Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leader Pruning Help, Please

Posted by notes (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 22:20

6�+ crabapple in 10 gallon container. Tip of the leader broke. New "shoot" below it (left in pic) sprouted yesterday. Should I remove the broken tip? Want to plant it soon. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leader Pruning Help, Please

I would use it to gently tie the new leader to with expandable green nursery tape and then cut it off in the fall. Here is a link with some options to consider....

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Establishing a New Leader on Young Tree

o

i doubt it broke .. i would theorize the wholesaler cut it.. for ease of shipping ..

DO NOTHING... for now ...

besides properly planting it...

you have just a great a chance of breaking off the new bud.. than you do of properly cutting it.. way down in there ...

clean it up in fall.. when the new growth has hardened off ..

see link for proper planting... lets discuss any variable.. you think you can do better... and dont.. because you wont ...

ken

ps: its a tree... why is it in the house??? since its leafed out... perhaps it should stay in the garage for a bit.. but NOT THE HOUSE ... might help if we knew where you are ...

pps: i cant tell you how many leaders i have screwed up.. because i was working on my time.. instead of tree years .... meaning.. you have 3 to 5 years to fix this.. so i ask.. whats your hurry????

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thanks for the replies. Ken: It broke. I broke it while moving it into the garage. Didn’t think going from a heated greenhouse to 20 degree temps at night would be good for it. Rest easy. It’s NOT IN THE HOUSE. ;=)

o

Ken, here in warm zone six my out in the yard crab is pretty much leafed out. Now if I was up with you rooting for the Vikings or Canadians I might still be shovelin snow ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here