Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing fruit trees - best place to live

Posted by love_to_plant MI zone6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 22:55

I am finishing up residency in a few years and I have built a passion for growing herbs and fruit trees. Does anyone know the best place to live if I want to grow and fruit, all different fruit and nut trees, e.g. apple, cherry, almond, walnut, peach, olive, mango, medjool date, fig, citrus?

Perhaps someone out there is living my dream and I can be their favorite neighbor...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing fruit trees - best place to live

The central valley of California will get you a lot of different fruit and nut varieties......one local nursery offers 95 different ones. But you need heat and pretty much frost free conditions for things like dates, mangos and most citrus crops. Locations that offer optimum growing conditions for them will not be as inclined to offer good growing conditions for fruits that require winter chill periods, like apples, cherries and most stone fruits.

Now if you were to have two locations - one in the San Joaquin Valley and one in the Imperial Valley - you could pretty much grow any fruit or nut you like! I'd still pick somewhere in CA to maximize the possibilities....

o

the traverse city area is replete with orchards .. apple.. peach.. cherry ... but not the tropical fruits ...

your list is somewhat bipolar in the types of fruit listed ... you arent going to get all your wishes in one place ... since some require cool season growth .. and some are totally tropical ....

there is a fruit forum.. and those peeps might have better ideas ...

ken

o

Looks like I will need two homes or perhaps a one home and a greenhouse??

Thanks for the honesty.

o

What you need is a good water supply and rich land. Test the water table before buying property. The water table all over the earth is going down. You'll want to be able to irrigate.

California is a great place to grow but they are in a severe drought and the water is cut off to farmers now. Not a good place to plan one's future.

o

and.. 2 houses leads to reduced garden capability.. because you never spend enough time at either house ....

are you talking about some fruit GARDENING .. in my adrian MI garden i have peach.. plum.. apple.. pear ... apricot [grandpa keeps buying us trees... lol ..] ....one of each on 5 acres .... its fun ... but real fruit growing entails multiple chemical sprayings per year.. and since the kids came along.. i am not interested in the exposures ... we get what we get ... it aint pretty fruit.. and its cool ...

or are you thinking being an orchard grower ... which is a whole nother ball of wax ....

define your goal .....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here