Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - trim / prune backyard tree (cedar?)

Posted by ssingh123 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 23:01

Hello,

I have a tree in my backyard that was somewhat neglected for the last three years. I think it is a cedar tree.

Basically the issue is that it has grown quite wide (I'm in Canada - Ontario).

What kind of maintenance is required on this tree to make it look "good" again? I would like to shape the tree, but I'm not sure if there is some technique I should use or I can simply start cutting away?

Please see the attached images. Can someone please identify what kind of tree this is?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - trim / prune backyard tree (cedar?)

the word cedar is a common name. and a specific name ...

specifically .... its not a cedar ...

but i cant focus well on your pix.. as to whether it is a juniper.. or a chamaecyparis ... that second from last pic looks like two different types of foliage ...

regardless.. its a conifer ... but those peeps hang here.. so no need to duplicate the post ...

frankly.. i would get rid of it...

it was improperly planted.. so its tipping over.. probably bought as large potted root bound stock ...

its planted way to close to the fence ...

and even if you could stand it back up.. pruning is not going to fix it ... and personally.. i would not want to look at some humungo stake for a few years .. trying to pull it back ...

lastly.. you could do so much better with a choice conifer as a replacement.. that i want to spit .. lol.. pa-toooey ...

its just not worth the effort ...

there is a great conifer seller in ONT ... whistling gardens.. or some such..

if you want ideas for a replacement.. it might be a great topic in the conifer forum ... or .. based on the lack of anything else... just buy something that makes your toes tingle ... aw heck... buy 3 or 5.. and make an nice display ... but do widen the bed.. and plant them away from that fence ... and i would tend toward a dwarf annual growth rate ... as compared to this one ... as it is way to aggressive for the space provided ...

good luck

ken

ps: maybe it trying to escape from that rock.. lol ..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here