Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree manipulation

Posted by Thordinar West Virginia (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 23:13

Greetings.

I am putting together a new project. I'm going to be planting some new trees in the backyard. I will be manipulating their growth. By doing so I plan on creating a circle of chairs.

I am looking for beautiful flowering types. Trees that will thrive in West Virginia. Trees that won't take forever to grow. I was looking at Dogwoods, but they seem to take a fairly long time to reach 15'-20'. Looking for something similar but faster growth.

I am interested in your suggestions. Thank you for taking the time.

This post was edited by Thordinar on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 0:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree manipulation

i dont understand what you mean by manipulating?? ... nor why you need a 20 foot chair ...

any links to show us what you mean ... or could you be a bit more effusive as to facts???

ken

o

I will be using low stress training techniques to manipulate the growth of the plant. Shaping the tree into a chair. The chair itself will be just large enough for a single person to sit in. Yet the tree will continue up into a beautiful canopy.

Here is an example of tree shaping.

http://pooktre.com/

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pooktre

o

Possible candidates:

The thornless hawthorns like parsley hawthorn

Roughleaf dogwoods (cornus drummondii) - they grow ~3' year here after the seedling year

Good old redbuds

Carolina silverbell and relatives possibly

Some of the dogwood cornus florida or nuttallii x kousa hybrids grow pretty fast like Venus IIRC - faster than the cornus florida you referred to anyways.

Not flowering, but there are quite a few japanese maples you could use with interesting leaf color/shape

Crape myrtle in zones 7b and warmer but I wouldn't try in 7a or colder since it will die back which would defeat the purpose here.

Viburnums like rufidulum

Possibly some malus angustifolia seedlings

How fast does sourwood grow in WV? Another possibility.

Osmanthus americanus for the fragrance?

o
RE: Tree manipulation---

And a plethora of magnolia species and hybrids*

o

the trees the website look like cherry

o

Cherry trees grow well around here.

I think redbud is under rated also and I have seen some my neighbor has done some vine like twining to. Its pretty neat.

Post some pics in a few years!

o

How fast does the Cornus florida grow? How long will it take until it will reach 15'-20'? I heard 20 years... Maybe I read bad information. I am not sure. That is why I posted here. It is an amazing tree though.

Red bud looks good.
Tabebuia chrysotricha looks awesome too. Not sure if it will grow well in WV though.

Anyone know how fast any of these grow?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here