Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my Pine Tree Fall

Posted by shw001 6/MD (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 23:23

I have what I believe is a white pine, about 100 feet tall. It is leaning about 15-20 degrees, and has been doing so for a long time. The trunk, about 2-1/2 feet diameter, comes out of the ground fairly straight up, but beginning about 15-20 feet up starts to bend. This is probably due to a tall sycamore that used to be nearby, not allowing this tree to grow straight.

How could I tell if this tree will fall? Although it lost at least a dozen large limbs during the heavy snowstorms this winter it seems healthy. Even top leaves are a rich green color. It must be pretty old? Does that mean it could just die soon and could topple? This is in suburban street and it could take out power lines, cars, and people if it fell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my Pine Tree Fall

Hello shw,

The best inspection for your tree will come from a certified arborist. A fella with no financial incentive to have your tree "topped to ensure lack of wind sheer" or cut down so his company makes several thousand dollars during a slow week.

Around my house my eyes are always on the big white ash trees. Ever since one already showing a great wound from before I moved in, lost a tree size branch and had to be removed I keep a close eye on the rest.

Oh, and watch for rot near the bottom. That claimed two of my junk silver maples.

o

i agree.. you need a local opinion.. and not from a guy who is willing to make his boat payment from you paying him to take it down ....

but frankly .. this is a forest tree ... and you dont live in a forest..

as you suspect ... it is a danger to everyone within.. what did you say.. 100 feet ....

be done with it ...

ken

o

How could I tell if this tree will fall?

You can't. Too many factors at play for a distance diagnosis. As above, certified arborist only.

Dan

o

Thanks all.
I thought if the tree were nearing its age limit, I would save the cost of the arborist and just take it down. I will follow your advice and get to the Yellow Pages to find a certified arborist.

o

well if you are inclined to be done with it.. i agree.. dont bother with a arborist ...

its already severely damaged... and a threat.. what more info do you need???

i would NOT hesitate for one minute to be done with it ... i had six 35 footers taken out a few years back.. 15 feet from the house.. i sleep much better at night knowing i wont die in my sleep ...

and there is NOTHING you are going to do about that lean ...

ken

o

But then again, an arboricultural inspection (maybe $100?) might say it is safe, and save on $10,000 felling costs . . .

Eastern White Pine can live several hundred years.

Resin

o

The cost is only $1,500. But, we hate to take down a nice specimen. It is near the street, so they can pull the trucks almost near it.

How accurate are arborists predictions on these things? I'v known more than one person who got a good report from their doctor and passed within a week or two. The tree has been leaning for years, no sudden changes lately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here