Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kwanzan Flowering Cherry Tree: when to prune?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 0:00

I have a Kwanzan Cherry Tree that is growing with a central leader straight up, very few short side branches, it's about 15' tall. I'd like to cut the central leader to encourage side branching and getting it more full. When is the correct time of year to prune a Kwanzan Flowering Cherry. The diameter of the trunk is only about 4" so it's a skinny tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kwanzan Flowering Cherry Tree: when to prune?

Right after bloom.

Dan

o
RE: Kanzan Flowering Cherry Tree: when to prune?

Yep, just after flowering. Best not to prune at all though.

Resin

PS spellcheck: 'Kanzan'. The 'w' is an all-too-common nurserymans' error.

o
RE: Kwanzan Flowering Cherry Tree: when to prune?

if a recent transplant.. within the last two years.... every leaf is a feeding machine to the young tree ... cut some off .... and you reduce its ability to grow roots to get more fully established ...

personally .. i would not prune for the first 2 or 3 years ... except for broken or crossing limbs..

patience is ALWAYS rewarded when it come to trees ...

and no.. fertilizer wont help ...

time, proper water and proper mulch is all it needs..

a picture and some additional facts would be worth another thousand words of speculation ..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here