Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ospreynn

Red alder- Alnus rubra

ospreynn
15 years ago

I haven't been able to find much on cultivation details/requirements. Other than a high water demand, is it anything else I should know. I will try it in New Mexico, irrigation won't be an issue!!. I'll gratly appreciate any information!. Thanks

osprey

Comments (9)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

I'd expect one of the hot climate species to be a better bet. There's lots of trees native to hot climates that could be tried there, instead of all the ill-adapted ones you have been asking about. Seems like just tracking down and trying all those NDSU introductions I linked to earler would take awhile. There's a huge part of the country that has severe climate and soil conditions - most of it really. Large production nurseries that make their own introductions as well as state universities have been developing and introducing new trees for hard climates for a long time. By now there is plenty of these to choose from.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Hi Osprey,

If you want an alder, Alnus cordata (Italian Alder) or Alnus rhombifolia (White Alder) would be better options for climatic tolerance.

Resin

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bboy, ill-adapted?? All I need to know is what its requiremnts are and if it has been succesfully grown anywhere else.

Resin, thanks for your suggestions. White alder seems to be a much attractive tree than Italian alder. There is nothing special on Italian alder.

osprey

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Actually the opposite is the case, Italian alder is more distinctive than white alder.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Hi Osprey,

Red Alder is one of those Pacific Coast rainforest trees - very similar range to Picea sitchensis, Abies amabilis, etc. Even in Britain it has proved short-lived and difficult to grow successfully.

Personally, I think Italian Alder is the nicest alder, with its very glossy, rich dark green leaves, and large catkins ('cones').

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Fledgeling_
    15 years ago

Or try Arazona alder, Alnus oblongifolia. Its found in your state, or also Mexican Alder

• kman04
    15 years ago

I was able to grow Red Alder here in Kansas for a few years, but my seed strain originated from Northern coastal California and it never prospered for me and died after about 3 years. It didn't seem to mind the clay loam soil and soggy ground it was planted in, but did obviously struggle with the heat. I never saw any winter damage from the 2 winters it made it through. It would look good until about early to mid June and then it would just barely survive until the fall.

European Black Alder(Alnus glutinosa) seems to do fine here and doesn't seem to mind the heat much. It also seems to grow just fine in average soil moisture conditions as well as wet soil areas. The native(to Kansas) Hazel Alder(Alnus serrulata) grows well here also and doesn't mind the heat at all, but it tends to grow as a very large shrub rather than a tree. It gets to maybe 20' tall. It's also almost never sold in the nursery trade for some reason. Other than those 2, I don't think I've seen any other species of Alder in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, or Missouri(the areas I'm most traveling through).

• pteroceltis
    15 years ago

Not sure if this helps but it grows well in Syracuse, NY. Seems relatively tough and certainly gets no TLC at the experiment station where I have seen it. You can tell it's hurting sometimes during dry periods but it bounces back fine with a little rain.

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!!, just what I was looking for. According to your personal experiences, it is a non starter here :-(. If it requires conditions similar to Sitka spruce, I shouldn't event try it.
    Regarding the tree itself, I found it interesting. serrated leaves, and ashy gray bark.
    I may go for the Italian alder, or perhaps Alnus serrulata and/or Alnus rhombifolia.
    Thank you everyone!!

osprey