Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

How beautiful, are these Jane Magnolias?

jujujojo_gw
9 years ago

{{gwi:353196}}

{{gwi:353198}}

{{gwi:353201}}

{{gwi:353203}}

{{gwi:353204}}

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Magnolia campbellii.

There are many kinds of pink or purple magnolias, there is no reason to think a given one is an example of 'Jane'. There are seven other named cultivars just in the same series (of hybrids between lily and star magnolias) 'Jane' belongs to.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Linda and bboy. Especially bboy for the ID.

• Mackel-in-DFW
    9 years ago

I believe Jane is unique, in that it has the most exquisite scent in the series. How's that, Juju ?

You can sniff through them all, and you'll know.

I'm trying to vie for your attention, Juju, and keep losing out big time to bboy ;). Hope all is well.

M

• jbraun_gw
    9 years ago

Juju,

I've been in mid Missouri for 3 years now. When I got here I bought the cultivar that was sold to me as 'Jane'. It seems to be the same one that you showed in your pictures.

The cultivar that I had in the central valley of California as 'Jane' was very different. It had Stellata sized and shaped petals. They were a solid deep purple.

I'm hoping that this Magnolia has the same blooming pattern as my Cal. one.. It flowered sporatically thru the the summer and fall as well as it's main spring show. This year I've got my first good and full spring showing.

Great pictures!

Thanks for the ID bboy

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Hi JJJJ,
    Can you tell us how Magnolia campbellii is propagated in China and how many years it takes to see the first flower?
    I live in Maryland which is just north of Wash DC. My problem with Asian magnolias is frost damage to the flowers. We get frost here well into April and 6 years out of 10 the flowers of Asian magnolias turn brown.
    American magnolias are all native to eastern half of the U.S. Their flowers are never damaged by frost. The undisputed queen among these is Magnolia grandiflora Can you give us an example of an evergreen magnolia tree which does well in temperate climates?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on Tue, May 20, 14 at 8:

According to San Francisco Botanical Garden (http://www.sfbotanicalgarden.org/garden/bloom_14_02.shtml), M campbelli takes 20 years to bloom from seeds ... You might contact them for their experiences.

Here is a picture of their blooming Magnolia campbellii cultivar 'Darjeeling' this spring.

I think the most impressive M Grandifloras are in South Carolina. In Maryland, the size of the flowers, the number of flowers and the blooming period are less optimal. Kousa dogwood appears to be more suitable for North Virginia and Maryland.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Tue, May 20, 14 at 11:13

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Your pics are very beautiful, thank you!

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Hi JJJJ,
    Here is a pretty common sight around here every June/July.
    The branches are sought after for decorating inside and outside of the home during the holidays. Of course this is the Magnolia grandiflora a beautiful tree 12 months out of the year.{{gwi:353205}}
    It is interesting to note that Andrew Jackson planted two on either side of the south portico of the White House over 180 years ago and they are still there.
    Magnolia campbellii may be at home in the SF Botanical Garden, I wouldn't know.
    I don't see myself waiting 15 or more years for a tree to flower only to have the flowers zapped by frost.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sam, I have seen M grandifloras in Virginia, Maryland, D.C., etc; I think they grow very tall but they have smaller flowers and much less flowers than those in South Carolina.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler