Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariche0503

Need Help - Trying to grow new tree from piece of old one

ariche0503
9 years ago

I'm a complete novice to gardening but I was hoping someone here could help me get this project going. I recently was able to visit my old childhood home. A tree my mom and dad planted the same month I was born is now just heap of bark and small growth.

It's a silk oak tree. I took a few samples of it hoping I could get it to regrow so I could plant it on my own property someday.

I have two large medium sized chunks of the actual tree starting from the bark to a quarter of the way inside of the tree. There are thin, lightweight growth/branches stemming from it.

I already have it in soil with some root hormone but can someone please help steer me in a better direction on this? I know there's no guarantees but I would rather try hard and fail than just sit back and watch it die.

Any suggestions is MORE than appreciated.

Comments (12)

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

Silk oak is usually listed as hardy only in Z9 or warmer, so if you're below that it's not likely to survive even if you can root it. The method you're using isn't very likely to work, but you have nothing to lose by trying. Silk oak is a weedy tree that reproduces enthusiastically and a few trees are capable of producing roots from the kind of material you're using. I'd suggest putting a plastic bag over the pot to maintain high humidity and keeping it in a bright place but out of direct sun so it doesn't cook. Even if it doesn't root, you may be able to keep the branches growing over the summer so that you can take greenwood cuttings from them in the late summer or fall. They would have a much better chance of producing roots.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

first ..... pix!!!

you need an ID ...

then.. convert to a latin name..

and then add PROPAGATION to the latin name.. and see if it can be done ...

one thing for sure.. short of willow or poplar ... big chunks of trees... will not root ...

until you get an ID... there is nothing more we can tell you

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Grevillea robusta. Don't know anything else that gets called SIlk Oak.

• ariche0503
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in Florida so I'm in the perfect climate for humidity and sunshine. I'm just trying to find a shady place for it. Should I use a humidity tray also?

How moist should I keep the soil? Please, any info is appreciated.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Maybe this will help. Grafting seems to be the preferred method but growing from cuttings seems at least possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: propagating grevillea

• ariche0503
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was a useful website. Thanks for the tip!

A couple of silly novice questions

1) Should I use a humidity tray? Do I put rocks or anything on the humidity tray to give it a small height?
    2) How long do I keep the plastic bag over it? Can I use a plastic grocery bag or does it have to be clear?
    3) How often should I water it? It's already 87 degrees as a high right now in Florida.

Thank you guys so much. It means a lot.

• ariche0503
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoping to get my questions above answered before bed tonight. Thanks, guys.

• greenthumbzdude
    9 years ago

so you want to clone a tree right?
    get yourself some growth hormone powder or gel then dip the tips of small stem (don't go any bigger 5 inches or so) into the growth hormone. stick the stem in a pot with moist soil and wait. Adding some plastic wrap over the top will keep it humid (keep the plastic off the stem though). Don't allow the plant to be in direct sunlight. Roots should start to grow in a few weeks. You will now this when new leaves begin to sprout on the stem. Good luck.

• ariche0503
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple of silly novice questions

1) Should I use a humidity tray? Do I put rocks or anything on the humidity tray to give it a small height?
    2) How long do I keep the plastic bag over it? Can I use a plastic grocery bag or does it have to be clear?
    3) How often should I water it? It's already 87 degrees as a high right now in Florida.

Thank you guys so much. It means a lot.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

1. Not unless you want to. I don't think it will make any difference.
    2. Until the cuttings are rooted. (Nb - leafing out on a cutting does not necessarily mean there are roots. Remember a twig will leaf out in a vase but it won't necessarily be rooted.) It has to be clear so the cutting can photosynthesise. Make sure the bag is inflated a bit so it is not clinging to the cuttings.
    3. Water when it needs it. There is no rule to follow except to pay attention to the soil and the plant's behaviour. For rooting cuttings the medium needs to be moist but not wet.
    4. Be patient. Cuttings can take a long time. Can be months for trees.Watch for roots coming out of the drainage hole. It will not hurt a cutting to leave it a bit too long in its pot but it will hurt it to pull it out too early.

'Cloning' sounds very scientific and complicated but really this is just 'taking cuttings'. Something gardeners have been doing for millennia. Relax and enjoy it.

• ariche0503
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, this has been very helpful.

My only other question that I still need answered is for how long do I keep the plastic bag on it for?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Until it's rooted. But take it off periodically to shake down the condensation.