Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I?

Posted by catalina_101 UK (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 5:08

Hello, got this tree in a big pot (I think it's a 10L pot) at the nursery in the reject pile for a couple of pounds (for some reason gardenweb doesn't like the £ symbol??)!

Looks roughly like some kind of Robinia to me but I'm really not sure.

Could anyone help?

Thank you!

kat

Here is a link that might be useful: My lovely tree!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I?

It's a golden honeylocust. Not Robinia, but Gleditsia triacanthos. Most likely the cultivar 'Sunburst' (at least, if you were in the U.S. it would be, since that variety is a dime a dozen here at mass merchandiser nurseries).

Congrats on getting a deal on it -- some of my best plants have been off the bargain rack. A few years back, at the very end of the season, a Home Depot store here (a mass merchandiser/"big box" store) had $1 and $2 clearance at the end of the season. I loaded up with several dozen trees, some costing as much as $80 originally.

o

Thank you so much!

I love hitting up the reject pile at nurseries - having green thumbs, I'm not bothered by a slightly scruffy plant if it means saving a few bob!

I love my �3 Akebia, �5 5' tall olive tree (from Home Depot as well!), and my �3 honey locust!

Man we're good. Good work on your haul...I bet those have lasted you well!

Thanks again,
kat

PS £ = pound sign for some unknown reason!

o

Hey Catalina - where in the UK is there a Home Depot?? And what about having green fingers? Green thumbs are what they have over the pond ; ) (Or are you translating as you type?) Good luck with your new tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on your tree

o

And Catalina 101 sounds like you live in Southern California!

o

Flora do you know what, I was totally out to lunch when I posed that! I had just shopped at Office Depot and was thinking of Homebase and THAT happened. Sorry for the confusion!! :)

Formandfoliage - the SE is a lot more temperate than it's given credit for! In an average year I think London has 50% the rainfall of Seattle. Makes for happy olive trees. :D

o

'Out to lunch?' ... you're doing it again ;) Just pulling your leg.

I'll let you off. But we need to keep the weird Anglicisms alive on this forum. Over the years I have conceded on the courgettes and aubergines but insist on colour and neighbours.

I think it was your name that prompted the SoCal comment. Or are you a fan of flying boats?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here