Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Never seen this before

Posted by laceyvail 6A, WV (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 6:40

The crazy weather has really been hard on trees. The magnolias, which were late April bloomers, kept trying to bloom in early April and were completely frozen out. The sweetbay magnolia (M. virginiana) normally a June into July bloomer, is trying to bloom now. But the really whacked out tree is our native dogwood (Cornus florida) which has bloomed throughout southern/central WV with its leaves. It normally blooms several weeks before it leafs out. Apparently, the blooms are on schedule, but with the heat, the leaves are afraid they've missed the boat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never seen this before

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 12 at 10:10

Mine is just the opposite (well its a hybird). The leaves are on time, just leaving out now but the flowers haven't opened up.

o

The C. floridas around here did it correctly, before the leaves. They did it about three weeks early but they did it.

o

We had the intense, too early heat and the C. florida started blooming prematurely, then the heat left and was replaced with several weeks of slightly cooler than normal temps. Mine have put on a floral show I've never seen before, stuck open in full bloom for an astoundingly long time like in suspended animation and absolutely breathtaking. The leaves were pretty much on schedule, so I got to see the flowers nestled in amoungst them. It just shows to go you that heat is not the only trigger point for the plant world, and that's why I don't keep a garden calendar. The unfolding of the spring show is a little different each year and I love it that way.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 9:20

Calliope, I hope you got a pic!

Last year mine flowered for about a month before the leaves came in. It was a long, cool, wet spring last year.

Same as this year except we got early June like whether in March and then March weather in April.

Photobucket

o

Nope and it's really dangerous to ask me for tree pictures, bird pictures or quilt pictures. I make eyes glaze over.

o

I doubt that calliope!

Pics NAO!

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here