Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
River birch branch dieback

Posted by ventur MA (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 7:52

I have 3 river birch in my backyard for privacy and dappled shade. I planted them 4 years ago. They have nearly double in size and the one on the right (looking at the photo) became very bushy. Finally they leafed out after a very hard winter, but after inspecting them I noticed that the branches on the middle tree were dead and snapped off. So I decided to prune back the trees to remove the dead branches and also to give the middle tree some access to light. (It was a heavy handed pruning.) The problem may be that the trees were planted to close to each other. Also, while I watered them well during the summer, perhaps not enough during the autumn and ahead of our "vortex" winter. Here is my question- will the middle tree re-grow any branches? As you can see, the trunk is extremely bare. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: River birch branch dieback

go for a walk ... and look up.. into any mature tree ... they do not have leaves in there ...

to block the view.. you want the canopy to thicken ... and it will.. if you quit cutting it.. to get light inside.. where leaves dont grow ...

its awful early in the season... to be thinking.. the canopy was weak .. heck.. my trees in MI only leafed out.. in the last week.. they are not even close to branch growth ..

please .. next time ask... BEFORE you do the job ... and now that you found GW... you know where to ask ...

and no.. fert wont help ... they will get all the fert they need.. from your lush lawn ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here