Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_nwnj

Weeping Cherry- no flowers, no leaves. Yikes!

tom_nwnj
9 years ago

We have a weeping cherry, probably 35 years old. Always beautiful blooms, big fav for the Baltimore Orioles.

I can't believe it's not coming out of dormancy. There was a landscaper here last October. He cut one small branch (1" diameter) growing into to the house. Can't believe that killed the tree.

Winter was unusually cold, below zero at least 6 times. I am told we got down to 20 below F, one night.

Is there some method to perhaps bring this tree back? Be very saddened to lose it. TIA for any input.

(larger pic if you click on the small pic)

{{gwi:354479}}

Comments (6)

• arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago

Most of the weeping cherries here didn't flower and are slow leafing out due to the winter temps, but it seems unlikely that the cold completely killed your tree. It should definitely have some leaves on it by now. What do other weeping cherries look like in your area?

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that arbordave

There's a neighbor up the street who has a very large weeping cherry. Don't know if it flowered, but it does have some green leaves on it now.

I would assume that these "ornamentals" are very specific, maybe patented. So, maybe my weeping cherry is different from his, maybe much different. I didn't plant this tree. No idea where it came from.

How long do these trees live normally? And age range?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

a cherry is a cherry .. as to leafing out.. certain CULTIVARS may vary according to flowers ...

most likely a goner ... it should be showing signs of leafing by now ...

you can give it another month.. but even if it leafs out ... there probably isnt going to be much left by the time you trim out all the dead stuff ...

we dont know if it was grafted... but if so ... the suckers that come up may or may not be true to the form you had ... and odds are.. the root mass isnt dead.. and something will come out of the ground ... but that is just a guess ..

you have a lot of lawn there.. perhaps you ought to contemplate a replacement or two.. and give this one a month or two to see what happens ...

ken

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken,

Here's a pic from last summer, 1/2 the weeping cherry, trunk to the right. "Weeping" canopy is very healthy, no signs of stress.

The trunk closer to the center of the pic is a pin cherry (fire cherry?), not to be confused.

Very disappointed with this situation.

{{gwi:354480}}

• arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago

Most "Weeping Higan Cherries" (Prunus subhirtella pendula) are grafted and probably the same clone (although apparently there are more than one clone sold under that name). If others that you see in your neighborhood are leafing out and yours still isn't, perhaps something other than the cold has affected it.

One online source says this about weeping cherries: "marginally hardy in severe zone 5 winters, especially at the graft union on established trees, or the entire tree on recent transplants" (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Prunus subhirtella pendula

• Michelle
    9 years ago

I'm blaming the weather for the sparseness of my tree; Zone 5 after a severe winter. It was beautiful last year. We've only owned this property 3 years, so I know nothing about it's age or how this tree was started. I hope it comes back full next year.

This post was edited by Michelle1961 on Sun, May 25, 14 at 14:43