Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Another reason not to plant Branford/Callery Pear

paulsiu
10 years ago

Until the plant guy at the Chicago Botanical Garden recommended it, I had not even heard of the tree. While vacationing in Kalamazoo, I notice a somewhat odd smell of decaying crab. This is the sort of smell you get when there is a crab fest and the the remains of the meal have been dumped in the trash can and have been sitting around for a while.

Originally, I thought someone had crab for lunch and dump in into the trash can, but after I smell it in several place, I finally started to think it was one of the flowering plant and then zeroed in on a Callery pear tree. They were flowering heavily at the time. I have a very muted sense of smell, so if I can smell it, it must be really bad for everyone else. My wife found it unbearable.

Why is this tree popular? It only last for about 20 years, so in 20 years the town will have to spend money to replace them. The tree has a bad tendency to split in half in bad weather and there's plenty of that bad weather in the Northeast and Midwest area. Now it smells like decaying crabs. Sounds like a really poor choice in every way.

Paul

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years