Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinajean_gw

question about pecan tree

dinajean(SCzone7b)
10 years ago

Don't know if the picture will help, trying to show the difference in leafing out of Pecan trees. We live on 2 acres in upstate SC. Have 7 pecan trees in yard that were here when we got the place 14 years ago.
The two in the back leaf out great but when the nuts start to form, they quickly shrivel and fall. The other 5 are in the front & produce beautifully, although have gotten pecan weevils over the last couple years. I need advice on treating the pecan weevils is MY FIRST QUESTION.
My SECOND QUESTION is why is the tree on the left so lame in leafing out? Could it be diseased? All the others on the property are deep green and very full and they have always leafed out the same time every year.

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

any recent construction near these trees???

ken

• devonhubb
    10 years ago

Maybe drought stress from last year?

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No construction and if there was a drought, would it not have affected the 3 right beside it? THERE have been a lot of woodpeckers, big ones... could they have damaged the tree in question? But the woodpeckers have pecked ALL the trees in the area. Hmmmm...
    Okay, just remembered, the cable company came out with a trencher and ran a machine through the yard, may have gone under the pecan trees, but not exceptionally close to the one in question...

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And just remembered last year this one in question did not produce even 1 nut, but it may have been its off-year.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

Nut production typically falls off when trees are planted too close together. Typically, 35' is cited as minimum distance between trees. Once the branches are touching one another, the trees are too close to one another and nut production will begin to fall off. At this point the experts recommend removal of one of the trees in commercial production. A common soil deficiency here in Texas for pecans is zinc. Perhaps a soil test would point out if there are deficiencies in your soil for pecan tree. From what I see in your picture, I would guess that the other trees are out competing the weak tree and that your trees are too close together.

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They for sure are planted too close together but have been producing nuts perfectly as long as we have been here. It seems very sudden that this one appears weakly. Would the others compete out this one so suddenly? BTW I wrote in my original post that the tree on left was one in question...obviously...it is the one on the RIGHT that appears weakly.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

maybe root girdling cutting off circulation of other roots of the tree.

Arborist could tell by blowing away some of the soil to examine roots, if so they cut away the problem roots.

click on the link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for the advice & information. Before I call an arborist, do you think it would help any to give it a shot of fertilizer? I doubt it could hurt?

• sam_md
    10 years ago

hi dinajean,
    On the left is a branch from my pecan tree at the normal stage of leafing out. On the right is my 'Kanza' pecan which I planted last year. I really don't know why 'Kanza' is so slow to wake up this year but am confident it will catch up and be fine.
    {{gwi:354652}}

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

If you went thru drought stress, it may have weakened/stressed the tree in question to the point that it is now in trouble. The record heat and drought suffered here in 2011, weakened some trees such that they croaked in 2012, and others are still suffering. The affects of it were variable. Perhaps you are seeing something similar.
    I lost 3 out of 30 pecan saplings. Had another 10 that lost the upper grafted portion, but came back from the root-stock.
    Perhaps you can try Howard Garett's sick tree treatment on it to help strenghen it. One thing he recommends is first check for root flare. If all your other trees are doing fine, is there anything different about the other trees vs this tree?

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a new picture of trees that look healthy & one in question. Maybe that will give me more answers from y'all who are AWESOME!!!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz