Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
on_greenthumb

Bought a Tree

on_greenthumb
11 years ago

I bought a flowering dogwood (Golden Shadows) from the local nursery for $10 - it's around 5' tall and was discounted for a reason, the root ball was much much smaller than I was expecting. When planting, I made sure to put in lots of compost. The branches are long with some new growth on the trunk, but the branches are about 2' apart......

Just wondering if there is anything else I should do to stimulate the roots to grow?

Comments (12)

• hogmanay
    11 years ago

Did you happen to get a photo of the root ball sans pot?

Perhaps the tree was "root bound" in the pot.

If so, you can search for what to do with root bound trees.

Dogwoods can be difficult trees to place, transplant and care for in my area, but they grow like weeds in the natural understory :-)

Also, most folks here don't heavily amend the soil when planting since that can casue problems too. Some will cite stability and growth problems. Others will say (like me, since I have hard clay soil) that digging a hole and dropping in a potted tree with fill dirt from a bag or compost is like moving it from one pot to another :-)

Also IIRC, dogwoods need to have their root flare above grade a little, so make sure she isn't too deep.

Maybe an expert can tell ya' more.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    11 years ago

Price does correlate with quality......

Cornus alternifolia prefers moist well drained soil in partial shade. Provide those conditions and the tree should be fine.

• on_greenthumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn`t take a pic, but it was about the diameter of a small dinner plate (maybe 6 inches) and around 2 inches deep. There were no little roots coming out. I would think for a tree with limbs that reach out 2+' on either side, that it would affect the stability (which is likely why it was tipped a little).

@Hogmany, thanks for the tip about the root flare, I think I'm going to have to bring it up a little. I was actually thinking of putting a paw paw tree there as part of a new planting bed, so I had recently dug out a new bed about 8` deep and 27` wide....the whole area was amended for the new plants with compost. Then the opp came up for the dogwood and it just seemed to call my name.

@smivies, it sure does, but I am a sucker for a plant on clearance.....I have not paid more than $30 for any plant in my garden including my Redbud (bought on clearance for $25), my birch tree (regular price at $19), my Red Buckeye (bought for $5 in a one gallon pot at 6" tall). Most I buy for $5 or less......and it's a gamble, but most times it pays off :) I have all of the above since I have 100' trees surrounding my property (used to be a cottage community and people used trees instead of fences....LOL) It's about 6' in from my most shaded area, so gets dappled sun all day from the high canopy above.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

proper deep watering with near drying in between is all you need..

we dont 'feed' stressed trees.. and there is no doubt.. it is stressed ...

a two inch think dinner plate root mass.. on a 5 foot tree .... i might not even invest in the cost of water.. but you go at it.. who knows.. you might win ...

ken

• on_greenthumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah - I was really surprised when I un potted it and it was so small......worst case scenario is I`m buying the Paw paw in the spring......It`s flowering now though.....LOL Silly tree!

• on_greenthumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh and it has a 1 year guarantee - so that didn`t hurt either ;)

• on_greenthumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Getting a Paw Paw instead ;) By August all the leaves had fallen off and now it's just planted firewood.

Oh well, I tried :)

• nandina
    11 years ago

In situations such as this I do not amend the soil in which the tree is to be planted. Instead, I dig a hole just large enough to fit the root ball, plunk the tree in the hole, fill the hole with water and when it drains out lightly dust the root ball with rooting hormone, then top off the hole with the original soil on site. A few light stomps to firm the planting hole. Stake, if I feel it is necessary, to compensate for the small root ball. If the tree is leafed out, spring and summer, I do lightly mist the top leaf growth for a few weeks once a day. But then, this is something I feel is extra insurance for the health of plants installed during that growing period.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

lightly dust the root ball with rooting hormone,

==>> i would like to see a label with instructions for this use of the given product ... [and hope my well is not in your watershed] ....

otherwise.... the above directions are spot on ...

ken

• nandina
    11 years ago

Ken, some of us in this business of horticulture in which I have been involved for 62 + years develop 'tricks' based on experimentation and observation. This is what led me to lightly treating damaged/cut tree and shrub roots, when planting, with rooting hormone. It is my theory that once the injured root parts have callused the rooting hormone may aid in new root development. I have never lost a tree or shrub using the planting methods I mentioned above.

• calliope
    11 years ago

It really peeves me when producers release a tree like that for sale. I was in the business and I know that THEY know better. It wasn't harmed in the retail situation, it should have never left the growing area. Our state department of Ag has rooting specs for container or B&B stock and if they inspect and see stuff like that being sold, they'll gig it you on it.

• on_greenthumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Decided against the PawPaw.....went for a Sunburst Honeylocust. I need something that will grow quickly since I think my neighbours are planning to remove trees that are currently shading my hosta beds.......Much bigger pot and roots look really good (I poked around a little before buying it.)