Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach tree is leaning

Posted by natalie4b 8-GA (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 8:37

We had very hard winds last two days, and now my peach tree is really leaning over. Will it recover on it's own, or I will need to stake it? It's been planted 4 years ago.
My main concern is that by leaning it covers up the sun for the roses.
Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach tree is leaning

Natalie,

You will need to stake or guy the tree back to an upright position. Although the tree will most likely continue to live, unless straightened there will always be a visible lean in the trunk. If the tree was in good condition prior to the wind damage, it should recover well.

I would also recommend straightening the tree sooner rather than later. It can be assumed there was some root damage, resulting from the wind. If you wait more than a week or so, you will inevitably cause more damage to the root system.

Hope that helps.

o
RE: Peach tree is leaning

Thank you Arbormike,

I thought the tree was uprooted at first and checked the roots: they seem to be intact on the surface (unless there is underground damage). Will stake it ASAP. Glad it did not brake and killed the newly planted roses.
This year it is especially covered with peaches. Probably the heaviness of the fruit that is mostly on top pulled it down. We are lucky though - other people in our state had major damages due to a recent tornado.

Thanks again!
Natalie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here