Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kouza Dogwood: Dead or in Suspended Animation?

Posted by templemorris 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 8:48

I have 2 Kouzas, both 5 years old. This Spring they both woke up at the same time. But, about 3 weeks ago, one seemed to stop progressing. That is, it got lots of early buds and a few leave. But it seemed to freeze like this, and remains exactly the same 3 weeks later. It appears to be alive.

We're in the Mid-Atlantic region, and weather here has been unseasonably warm. No frost for over a month. There's no evidence of pests on the tree.

FWIW, the other Kouza, progressed normally: bloomed, grew in leaves, etc.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Many Thanks,
Temple

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kouza Dogwood: Dead or in Suspended Animation?

did you have a frost freeze 3 weeks back???

oops.. i see it was 4 weeks back...

all you can do is wait.. and see what happens..

and yes.. frost can hit one tree and not the other ...

ken

o

Thanks for your quick response Ken. It sounds like you think this is frost related. Does this mean the tree is dead or just hurting?
Thanks!
Temple

o

If it still has green leaves, wait. If the leaves it made died, scratch the bark and see if it is green (alive) or brown (dead).

John

o

A picture speaks a thousand words...

o

Thanks John and Famartin. I'll try the scratch test and post a photo, if I can figure out how!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here