Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtr_jd

red sunset or october glory?

rtr-jd
12 years ago

I've pretty much ruled out autumn blaze as I'm afraid of weak wood from it. I need a tree for some shade and take up aa bare spot in the yard. So which one is better for my area? I have poor acidic soil and its gets pretty hot here in the dead of summer. It also got pretty cold single digits a few times. I want a tree with good fall color and no seedlings. I read sunset flowers in spring? Thanks in advance

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Both of them should flower in the spring - that's when all maples do it.

Since they are both cultivars of Acer rubrum (and not a hybrid between two species like Autumn Blaze is), I would think they would do equally well in Alabama.

Below is a link to a similar question on the Maples forum (except the question is from Ohio).

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar question on maples forum

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

October Glory PP 2116 = 'PNI 0268' has been said to be better for the south than Red Sunset = 'Franksred'.

• rtr-jd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for your time and postings. thats what i probably go with but i was wondering if there is a good maple tree that is orange yellowish in fall because i already have alot of red (fireglow japanese maple and dwarf burning bushes) and i would like maybe some contrast. i need a tree that will be at leasst 35-40 feet and have a good spread on it. i saw and armstrong one but im not sure about those i seen one on sooner plant farm called firehouse which is what im looking for but they dont have any and its a sugar maple. i dont know that much about sugar maples. so any suggestions?? i do apologize for all the questions and thanks again.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Sassafras has a wonderful orange color in the fall. Southern sugar maple (Acer barbatum) is a nice yellow.

• arktrees
    12 years ago

For orange color, you might look into finding 'Autumn Splendor' Sugar Maple. It is one of the Caddo Ecotype selected by the late John Pair. The 'John Pair' Sugar Maple is from here as well, and those I saw last fall were a very nice orange-red. They are natively found in a few canyons west of Oklahoma City. They should be able to handle central Alabama very well once established. You may have to do a special order from a nursery to get them though. Do a search for "Autumn Splendor", and my user name as I posted some pictures last fall from the local Botanical Garden. You might also look into Acer grandidentatum Highland Park - Bigtooth Maple aka. 'Hipazam'. I have seen those locally. And Acer saccharum 'Sandersville' aka "Harvest Moon" Sugar Maple that was found in central Georgia.

Good luck, orange fall color is much tougher to find than red or yellow.

Arktrees

Here is a link that might be useful: John Pair

• rtr-jd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank u arktrees, uve been more than helpfull. ill try those but they may be hard to find and ive never ordered from an online source. but i certainly want an orange-orange yellow tree to break up all the red i have in the fall.

• arktrees
    12 years ago

Your very welcome. Don't be hesitant to ask a reputable nursery to get you what you want either. Being in Central Bama, you are not that far from where as great many large tree farms are located (i.e. McMinnville Tennessee) where pretty much everything grown that isn't tropical, is grown. Let us know what you end up with, and if it's one of the less common, post pictures over time so that others have something to refer to.

Arktrees

• rtr-jd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i think i may have found my tree. can anyone tell me about legacy sugar maple??? its sold around here and its has nice orange yellow fall color from what i can find out on the net and from the nurseries.

• arktrees
    12 years ago

They do very well here, and seem to grow rather quickly. What I think is Legacy seems to color a bit later than other sugar maples for my location. I have seen them in the local nursery along with Commemoration, Fall Fiesta, and Green Mountain, all of which arrived at the same time. From these the Legacy distinctly ore leafy and seemed all around happier than the others. Don't know for certain that translate into recovery from transplanting, but it was very noticeable.

Arktrees