Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trees planted in Spring are normally a bit late in leafing out?

Posted by ilovemytrees 5b/6a Western, NY (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 9:29

Hi. I planted 3 bareroot 3 ft tall Sugar Maples 2 weeks ago. Their buds are just now swelling, but I was just outside and saw that the next door neighbor's sugar maple, which he planted about 5 yrs ago, and is about 15ft tall, has leafs popping out all over.

Is that normal that my trees are a bit behind in leafing out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trees planted in Spring are normally a bit late in leafing ou

There's a discussion of this in the link below. Acer saccharum is sugar maple.

Also, any newly planted tree is likely to behave differently than the same plant in following years since it was grown under different conditions than in your yard and have just been transplanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: extreme variability of leafout among Acer saccharum

o

its state of dormancy ... is off kilter to your area ...

most likely.. it was pulled out of a refrigerated warehouse.. to be sent to you ...

it is a non-issue ... it will catch up soon enough ...

it takes a certain number of days.. of certain heat .. both air and soil temps.. to come out of dormancy ... and the little time since you had it.. isnt enough .. patience ...

another way of saying it.. would be that its personal microclimate [anthropomorphism.. lol] ... was different than the local one ... and that is why it is doing things to a different schedule ...

ken

ps: dont compare your kids to the neighbors either.. lol ...

o

All 3 of my Maples leafed out yesterday! Hooray!

Thanks, Ken and Nhbabs, for responding. I guess I was a little too impatient...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here