Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is happening to my Arborvitaes?

Posted by spole2014 Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 9:44

I planted a number of Thuja Green Giants last spring - two didn't make it, but three seem to be thriving. They grew up and out substantially before the winter, and now that it's starting to warm up they are filling in nicely.

But, on all of them they are noticeably discolored. Some worse than others, but all have a reddish color on a lot of the lower, inner branches. Along with that there seems to be a number of dead spots, and even black patches. They seem to be growing in spite of this.

I live in northern Ohio, it's been a very wet spring, and they are at the top of a hill so pretty good drainage. I do have a male cat on my property, but could it spraying these cause this much damage? Or could this be some kind of fungus or disease? Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is happening to my Arborvitaes?

Closeup of some of the black spots

o

winter damage ... wait and see how it starts growing.. if it will ever warm up enough ... i am just north of the OH border.. and spring is very late this year ... i am watching about a dozen arbs with the same look ...

ken

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Sun, May 11, 14 at 9:30

Should be OK. Perhaps not surprising for GGs not yet fully established after a bad winter & frozen ground. I see some nearby, recently planted Leyland cypresses that are toast.

One of my 9 GGs outright died -- 9 yrs old. Others are fine. Can't explain it other than winter cold/winds.

o

Thanks both of you - that's at least reassuring that it's not something worse. I wasn't here for the winter but all those subzero days can't be good for any living thing. A side question - is pruning out some of the worse looking spots a good idea or just leave it alone?
Good luck with your trees too, I will wait and see what happens.

o

By all means, prune out the brown/blackened dead growth (which I agree is probably winter-kill in young, susceptible trees). It sounds like they are doing OK otherwise.

I have had minor dieback/deer damage in previous years in my large boundary Green Giant planting (which went in about 9 years ago). They came through our 2013-14 harsh winter (many subzero lows, the lowest of which was -19F) without any noticeable damage.

o

If the tops put out more growth, I would'nt worry. I have a few that are questionable, the tops look brown/bad also, on mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here