Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccacc123

I think I made a mistake

ccacc123
15 years ago

I planted a leyland cypress next to the house on the north side in the landscaping. I was looking for a fast growing tree and boy did I get it. This particular part of the house is high, but the growth of this tree is making me nervous that it will get too big. At this point the tree is almost to the roof line and this is a two story part of the house. I was wanting something that would grow like this because the house is bare there and needed something. How could I prune this monster to keep it in check or should I rip it out before it's too late and has to be cut down. Please respond and help me with this. I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Yep, I'd remove now.

Here's what you're in for, if they're left . . .

Tree (36m tall):
    {{gwi:239803}}

Trunk (over 1m diameter):
    {{gwi:239804}}

Resin

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Take it out now. If you want that general shape, in a smaller version, the 2 arborvitae cultivars 'Green Giant' (matures at around 50', 15-25' wide) or 'Emerald Green'/'Emerald Beauty'/'Smaragd'* (matures at around 20-25' x 8-12' wide) might do. If both of those are too big, T. 'De Groot's Spire' might work (12-15' x 3-4'). If none of those appeal, how about a holly? There are various cultivars, with various growth habits - some judicious pruning might help with height and width, although it's better, IMO, to start out with one that will grow as you want.

* I don't know if these are all the same cultivar, with different nurseries giving them different names or not, but they all grow about the same, and look about the same.

• ccacc123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Boy I wish I new what cultivar it was.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

"* I don't know if these are all the same cultivar, with different nurseries giving them different names or not"

Yep, same thing. 'Smaragd' is the cultivar name, while "emerald" is a translation of it.

"'Green Giant' (matures at around 50', 15-25' wide)"

'Green Giant' gets nearly as large as Leyland Cypress if not larger in the long term; mature height can be expected to be 30 metres or more. It hasn't been in cultivation long enough to know exactly how tall it will get, but its parent species both get over 30m (and one of them to 60m).

Resin

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Ccacc, I may be wrong, but I think there are very few cultivars of Leyland cypress - maybe one other. And I think they get tall, and are, in this area, prone to disease/insect problems, as well as tending to fall over in strong winds with wet soil.

The alternatives I suggested are a different species, although with a similar look. So far, they seem to be staying healthy, with the exception of possible bag-worm infestations.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

There's over 20 Leyland Cypress cultivars, though only 3 or 4 are widely sold.

Resin