Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaf cutter ants killing my tamarind!

Posted by wildmutt 10b (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 9:58

Tell me what works and what doesn't, and HURRY!!

Gina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaf cutter ants killing my tamarind!

how reliable is your ID.. and your diagnosis ...

any reason you can't take a cutting to a local nursery, for an onsite opinion ???

any suggestions of any chemical remedy on these words alone.. is malpractice [same with organic remedy, if any]

pix might help ...

ken

o

First, calm down!!!! You are over-reacting to a potential problem. Even if the ants eat all the leaves off of a healthy tree, it probably would not kill the tree. Only prolonged leaf removal would likely cause the tree to die.

Second, as Ken stated, make sure your diagnosis is correct and that the problem is really significant enough to be a problem. Removal of a third of the leaves is probably not even worth worrying about.

If leaf cutter ants are the issue AND they are removing a majority of the tree's leaves, a combination of measures might be a good idea. Diatomaceous earth (the type produced for use in gardening, not the stuff used for filters) sprinkled around the base of the tree should help and will be harmless to the tree. There are also many other recommendations available with a quick Google check. Just avoid the ones that sound stupid, like the one that came up when I just checked, that said to dig a 1' deep trench around the base of the tree and fill with soapy water (I have no idea what that idiot was thinking).

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of Online Solutions

o

My pest guy came out and showed me the little grey/white aphids all over the tree. I felt relieved, yet sheepish.

Then he bombed it with conventional spray and a systemic, for which I will no doubt go to gardener's hell, where all there are to grow are ligustrum and variegated pittosporum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here