Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

brownish ends of new japanese maple leaves

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

I could post this in the Maples forum, but there is a lot more traffic here.

I have a 2 year old seedling Acer palmatum that sprouted on its own against a fence. I've since moved it to a Smart Pot for the summer until I find a better place to make its permanent home. The potting mix is Al's 5-1-1 from the Container forum.

In case it matters, the parent tree is likely either a Bloodgood or Emperor I, both of which are nearby.

The top was about 8" higher than you see here originally, but it broke off this winter in one of our many storms so I cut it clean.

Anyway, just a few of the new leaves (right side of pic) seem dried and light brown in color at the tips. The growing tip on the shoot on the right side shows it, as well as the small new leaf just to the left of the growth tip-you can see the brownish tips of the leaf.

Has anyone seen this, and is it serious or possibly just some minor root stress? I did just move it this spring to the pot, but I only cut maybe 10% of the roots when I potted it (I got a HUGE rootball, one suitable for a 2" caliper tree, then washed the soil off).

The yellowish dust dotting the leaves is oak pollen BTW.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022