Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Landscape Trees Look Good Together

Posted by BowFromMI Michigan (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 10:06

I have a few acres of fairly open, mowed lawn around my house. This Spring, I have been planting several flowering trees around my house, and have planted nearly 20 fruit trees to start a small orchard...

I still several areas I would like to get some more flowering trees in... I'm planning things like Eastern Redbuds, Flowering White Dogwoods, various flowering crabs, etc...

I'm wondering what the consensus is on what looks best... should I mix and match these by planting a redbud next to a red crab next to a white dogwood...??? Or should I cluster trees together, ie the white dogwoods in one corner together, the redbuds in another corner together, etc...

Are there certain trees or colors that look particularly good together?

I'm dealing with a bunch of approximately 6 feet tall trees right now, so it's hard for me to picture what they will look like together in 10 years.
Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Landscape Trees Look Good Together

PS Forgot to mention... I also have, or plan to get, some trees such as Crimson Maple and Newport Plums for that summer and fall color... How will/should these mix and match with those flowering trees mentioned above?
Thanks again.

o

The simple answer is..to each their own.

i typically like contrasting color combinations, but mot everything blooms at the same time. one of the most interesting plantimgs i have seen was of all white, but of differt species so that there was something white flowering from early april until mid june.

and sometimes a massive display of a single color.is more impressive than having eight different things.

and sometimes you may plant white flowering crabs but end up with yellow fruit, red fruit, and orange fruit.

my best advice...go for a couple of long drives. visit parks, gardens and campuses where they have the space to practice landscape design on a scale different from a single home. you'll find some things you like and aome maybe you don't.

but to me the landscape exists in every season and i try to plant things that allow me to enjoy. them all.

but your landscape should never be about what i like. its not mine.

o

the flowering trees you mention.. DO NOT BLOOM TOGETHER ...

in MI.. being down in adrian ... redbud blooms first.. w/o leaves ... and in a normal year.. of which this is not ... then the dogwood.. and then crabs.. i think ...

\but put all that aside.. and go with mature shape and form.. and use that as you guide to how you want to place them ...

and keep in mind.. that 20 years down the road.. the trees with greater potential.. will start impeding the production on the others ...

no maples w/in 100 feet of the orchard ...

otherwise.. your base question is rather esoteric ... which is the same as strob's answer ... summed up as .. whatever pleases you.. and the hell with the rest of them/us .. and cut it down.. when you realize your mistake.. lol

welcome to GW

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here