Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Other weeping cherries in the area

Posted by tom_nwnj z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 10:07

After reading some of the thoughtful comments on my (now seems very likely) winter-killed weeping cherry, I took a look at some yards in my area. Seems the small weeping cherries survived. Some of the larger ones did not.

Here's two pics, other houses one or two miles from me. (click for larger pic)

Half dead

14_72

All dead

15_72

If these harsh winters continue, what would be a good replacement? Was wondering if Weeping White Birch will do better??

TIA for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Other weeping cherries in the area

you are overthinking this a bit ...

its all about micro climate ... on my 5 acres... i can have two identical trees... less than a hundred feet apart.. independently affected by the onslaught of ma nature.. and the other unharmed ...

but also... we would call this a rather short lived tree... and it seems like all the pix you have shown.. are huge old trees... maybe that is why the large failed.. and the smaller didnt ....

if you want another cherry.. plant one .. you cant outwit ma nature ...

if you cant face the thought of losing one.. find something Z4 that fits.. and go with it ...

just make it a personal decision... do you want a cherry??? .. if so.. what more is there to decide???

we are coming up to the heat of summer... not the best tree planting time... so as far as i am concerned.. you have a few moths.. to make up your mind ...

if you decide to plant in summer.. find out how.. BEFORE you do it ... see you then ...

ken

o
RE: Other weeping cherries in the area

Did it leaf out some and then become defoliated, or never leafed out at all?
I know at least where I am in New England the winter moth caterpillar plague loves these trees and can totally defoliate them till they look dead.
Break/cut off some stems/branches to see if they are still green inside. If so, it may come back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here