Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Shadows Dogwood Performance

Posted by mary4b 4b WI (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 10:14

Can you show me yours?

I got one for $35, about 5'. Doesn't have the nicest form and NONE of them did at the store, not like a regular Pagoda Dogwood might have after 3 years in a pot at the nursery. (They told me they've had them that long.)

Question...does anyone have one that actually turns into a nice tree (or shrub) like a regular Pagoda Dogwood? Or....does it sort of just have that gentle, airy & open non-uniform look even after 5 years.

I am trying to decide where to put mine...whether to use it as a "shrub/tree" in the border where it would stand its ground and fill out its space....OR to use it more like an airy accent daintily hovering over a hosta bed. (This 2nd way is the only way I have seen it in photos.)

And if I can ask one more question....could it take a full eastern exposure until 1 pm here in my northern climate?

Thanks everyone...if you have pics, it would be AWESOME!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Shadows Dogwood Performance

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Fri, May 16, 14 at 11:48

Never heard of it, but yellow-cultivars generally don't do as well as greens in the sun. Even regular pagodas like mine are at their limit in sun-exposure the same as yours (shade after 1 pm). The sun-stress doesn't show up immediately, but becomes apparent in mid-summer to early fall, depending on heat/drought (I water them, but they'll still look a bit stressed). Still, everyday dogwoods on lawns are sun-stressed routinely by late summer, but carry on.

Maybe in cooler WI yours won't be as stressed...

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 16, 14 at 23:15

This cultivar does tend to be a little thinner and airy but does have the same tiered habit as the species. I've never seen an older specimen so perhaps they do fill out with time. I have a species tree that is only a few years older and there is a big difference in vigor as you can image vs a golden leaf cultivar.

If you have patience its a nice plant. I'd think eastern exposure until 1pm and then shade there after would be perfect.

Just ensure well drained soil and keep it watered and mulched especially the first couple years.

Right now it looks like golden butterflies dancing among the branches. I'll snap a pic if I remember. I actually have mine in drier soil but it only gets 1-2 hours east sun and then 1-2 hours west sun.

o

I've had 'Golden Shadows' for about 10 years. It does develop into a nice tiered shape over time. It's largely a matter of personal taste, but I think bright direct sun makes the leaves look sickly and bleached out even if the tree can adapt to that exposure. Again, personal taste, but I like this tree much better with mostly light shade for the entire day with maybe a very few hours of direct morning sun.

o

Thank you! I found a spot with mostly dappled morning sun until about noon..hopefully that will be good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here