Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

We've had a Frost watch called for this Memorial Day weekend.

ilovemytrees
10 years ago

For Saturday night. They've got to be kidding!

Comments (11)

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

"They've got to be kidding!"

My exact thought when I read this was "Are you kidding me?"

Good luck! If it frosts, surely it would be a very brief and minor one and not too damaging. How far along are you, ie: what trees/shrubs are blooming for you?

John

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi John.

I live in a valley, so most of the time if there's even a hint of a chance of a frost, we'll get it.

My forsythias are already done blooming, and the only other thing I have planted that blooms is my very young Golden Raintree. The leaves are still in the pink stage and are not frost tolerant at all. It's easy to go out and cover it for a frost with a tomato cage and blanket.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Fri, May 24, 13 at 10:20

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

There's a batch of near freezing air just north in Canada pushing south.

It'll be a close call here in a frost pocket. Depends on clouds & winds.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Just the roofs had an icing of frost this morning. It was 35 last night by me.

Wasn't as worried as there was some wind and anything above freezing just won't cause any damage unless you have extremely sensative plants.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They've changed it to a freeze warning now. It's technically not for my county, but the one right next to us. I'm still not taking any chances.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, they just now called a Freeze Warning for the entire Western NY area.

Are we really only one week away from June?

• poaky1
    10 years ago

It's going down to 30 F tonight here. My Live oak "late drop" has recovered from a frost once, it will be expected to put out a third flush of leaves after tonight if it affects the leaves again. I will be staying up and spraying the leaves before sunrise, I guess. I have to do it for my Peppers and tomatoes also. This is unusual here also. Someone told me if you spray the leaves before the sun hits the leaves, you can save the plant. Kinda like they do for strawberries and citrus in Florida.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

Poaky,

That was me, spray the leaves when it hits freezing, not before dawn. Usually it's at it's coldest just before dawn, but if it gets down to freezing at midnight spray the leaves, also water below the tree as well an hour before your coldest time of the night.

I used a light mist bottle. I actually put mine in freezer to get it cold, so when it landed on leaves it froze.

For orange trees they use a sprinkler that keeps running, you could do the same with a light mist on your trees as well.

good luck

• calliope
    10 years ago

It's going to be interesting here.......the temperature forecasts change as often as the peso to dollar. We have extensive plantings in trees/shrubs/flowers/fruits/vegetables. Far too many to ever even think about protecting. I have ten or twenty types of shrubs in bloom now. An extraordinarily lovely fruit set this year for peaches and apples. Blueberries almost sized up. Strawberries starting to turn red. Brambles all in bloom. Grapes starting to get little bunches on them with new vines planted. sigh. I spent all day on the veggie garden. I put it in three weeks later than last year, and just finished the plantings (all but the melons) yesterday. Guess who saddled up at ten this morning haying in the rows of potatoes so I wouldn't get foliage die-back. Hot capping tomatoes. Covering the cukes and beans who are already budded and about to flower. I did also cover the strawberry bed. It's each man for his own now and keeping fingers crossed that they'll be off a few degrees too high. I am a serious food producer.......flowers can come again next year, but I have an empty pantry to fill and I sure as ..........don't want to have to replant everything.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

37F here this morning. Enough wind to dodge the bullet.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear it.

We had a freeze last night, and we're getting another one tonight. They said that should be the last of the freezes though.