Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my pussy willow is not producing catkins

Posted by bunnymac none (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 10:29

HI all, I purchased a pussy willow tree a couple years ago, this is its 2nd spring and it has not produced any of the fuzzy catkins, now I have learned that the male produces them? when we bought the tree, it had them so I know this must be the male, my question is, do I need the female as well to produce the catkins? should I be pruning ony a certan time of year? thanks for any help! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my pussy willow is not producing catkins

Have you pruned it? If so you have possibly cut off the potential catkins. If you must prune do so as this year's catkins fade, or would have faded if there had been any. But it would be better not to prune at all if you have the space for a large bush.

You do not need a female tree to produce catkins since they are flowers not fruit.

o

thank you so much for the reply

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 17:21

What they were talking about - unless they were way off - was that male willows tend to produce thicker, fluffier catkins than female willows. So it's not that the males only have the pussies, it's that the males have better ones than the females.

As mentioned you want to cut back right after bloom, otherwise there isn't enough time for the re-growth to get far enough to set flower buds for the following bloom season.

o

Knowing your zone or general geographic area would help. We had such a bizarre winter it produced a spring where things just sort of happened in an unusual sequence. My forsythia did not bloom this year, and I was waiting for it to signal me it was time to go gather some branches to force inside. I got to the pussy willow and found out it was already in heavy fuzzy bud and I almost missed it. I don't know how closely you were watching yours but sometimes if we get a warm spell after long cold spells, if you have a larger property, you can miss the show entirely in a matter of days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here