Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with tree identification please

Posted by goosta Austin, TX (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 10:35

I'm trying to figure out what tree I have in the backyard of my home which I recently purchased. After some googling, I'm still at a loss, so hoping someone can help me out. Thanks so much!

Here are some images of the tree:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with tree identification please

Triadica sebifera - Chinese Tallow Tree

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o
RE: Help with tree identification please--

Below is a more relevant link for ya :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Another link

o

Thanks so much for the information. Bummed to hear it's an invasive though!

o

It is definitely NOT A TREE THAT BELONGS NEXT TO A POOL! It is very messy especially when it get a little larger and will be a big pain in the neck for you.

It is too bad because it sure looks very healthy and I'm sure you are enjoying it. I would recommend removal and replacement with a large shrub or very small tree that tops out or drastically slows down around the size that tallow tree is currently. That is if you just must have something there.

On a different note, your yard looks very relaxing! :)

John

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 12 at 13:12

Specimen looks like it has possible structural issues to me.

o

(Forgive the OT hijack.)

Ah, that's what that thing is...it drops those little flower things all over. I'd never put two and two together before--the invasive Chinese tallow and those annoying things with the yellow doodads. I have learned something!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here