Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

tree observations driving from MD to OH and back

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Just some observations of trees I made this weekend while driving from MD to Ohio (Akron). We drove along I-70 into PA then the PA Turnpike west into Ohio (then the OH turnpike to I-76 into Akron).

First point...sycamore anthracnose. The anthracnose here in Central MD (Howard Cty) is probably the worst I've ever seen - even trees not usually affected to any noticeable degree by the shoot blight phase look absolutely horrible this year. Many of the straight P. occidentalis are almost completely bare, even individual specimens that typically seem to leaf out normally most years. However, as we drove west, the Platanus in the woods we saw looked better and better, to the point that in most of NE Ohio the anthracnose didn't look too bad at all. Although leaves still appeared small on most of the trees there I saw, they appeared to be the makings of a normal/full canopy, and are past the stage where shoot blight is a concern. I can't speak for the rest of Ohio, however, as I didn't go much outside the Akron-Canton area.

Watching the progression of leafout was interesting. All of MD was essentially completely leafed out, as was OH for the most part. In PA, we took a detour up to the Flight 93 Memorial near Shanksville. Up there, around 2500 ft elevation, some of the oaks were barely in the bud-swell/catkins stage...is that normal? The elevation isn't THAT much higher, this isn't the Rockies! At that point it appeared the trees were a good 3-4 weeks behind where they are here.

Pennsylvania in particular seems to have a lot of weird things going on with its trees. In PA along I-70 the woods appear mostly healthy but there are some occasional dead large trees at higher than usual numbers. They appear to have been dead a while...my guess (based on the area) might be gypsy moth damage from the major outbreaks about a decade ago.

The most interesting phenomenon, however, are the large numbers of dead/dying trees right along the roadsides. The trees that are alive seem to have severe witch's brooms & are sprouting leaves from thicker, older stems. These are really only close to the road, further up the hillsides or a couple hundred feet off the road, the trees appear fine for the most part. Oddly they also appear to be further along leaf-out away from the road than right along it, even way up on the hilltops.

There are some trees like this with the witch's brooms all the way from PA into Ohio, but most heavily concentrated from just before the Allegheny Mountain tunnel near Bedford, going west to a bit past Somerset. After that they're more scattered. These aren't ashes affected by EAB (more on that in a moment). They seem to be many different trees...some oaks I could tell & some Acer rubrums, others I wasn't sure due to the disfigurement & driving by at 70 mph.

I think it's salt spray damage, that seems to be the reason I hear most often. It also explains the many conifers with browned foliage (that appear to mostly have normal looking candles growing so far in spite of the brown needles). In this stretch of the PA turnpike, it's almost every tree along the road that looks like this. Some trees beyond this point look like this, in much smaller numbers...I get that it's probably salt spray, but why is it SO much more of a problem in that little stretch of PA?

Somewhat sadly, the native trees generally most tolerant of salt, Fraxinus (ashes) are dying for a different reason...the Emerald Ash Border.

Now on to my EAB observations. I noticed on our travels that in Ohio in particular, the damage was patchy. On the Ohio Turnpike going west from the PA/OH line, there is about a 5 mile stretch where tree carnage is rampant...some 60% of roadside trees appear dead, and from the form, bark, etc I am 99% sure they're all Ashes. Many have tufts of sprouts from the base with green leaves, but the tops are D-E-A-D dead.

Then there's a long stretch into Akron where most ashes look fine, and only isolated areas that seem to have a few dead/dying ashes.

Anyone got any comments or anything to add to this?

Comments (10)

• salicaceae
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was just in Youngstown, OH area last week. I think there must have been a freeze after bud break as many trees, especially hickories look like the new growth was torched. As for the roadside trees, I've noticed that for years around Somerset, PA. The symptoms are spot on for de-icing salts.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

The elevation isn't THAT much higher, this isn't the Rockies!

Yes, but Mt Washington, NH @ only 6000 ft is much colder than the equivalent altitude in the Rockies. Jet-stream (& cold upper-air) is much lower in the east US than the west.

Yes, I've seen some localized tree damage, especially along highways, in the Alleghenies SE of Pittsburgh. Haven't figured it out. Could be ozone, Gypsy moths, sulfur, salt spray, etc. But it does seem the understory trees are growing up to replace the damage.

I'd reckon recent frost damage has something to do w/late or damaged emergence.

Sycamore here has leaf damage as usual. Hard to tell how much is anthracnose or frost damage, tho.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agreed the understory looks good in PA for the most part. What makes no sense to me is why the salt spray damage is SO MUCH worse in that stretch of PA than anywhere else? Could it be the method the PA DOT applies the salt?

There was some frost damage in OH for sure...There have been two freeze events this May there, interspersed between an otherwise quite warm May.

There were a few singed leaves on my dad's Japanese Maple that were probably due to frost, but the shoots themselves were intact and few leaves had more than a little damage. I saw some oaks with "crinkly" looking older leaves that might have been frosted.

The only major frost damage I could see conclusively were on the Ailanthus trees that sprout up everywhere...a clump of them at a low site near my father's house were completely zapped. Not that anyone would care if some Ailanthus were killed.

The cornfields looked fine even 2 days after the freeze on May 25. Things like tomatoes and peppers, etc were toast in much of the Akron area though.

• famartin
    10 years ago

"Yes, but Mt Washington, NH @ only 6000 ft is much colder than the equivalent altitude in the Rockies. Jet-stream (& cold upper-air) is much lower in the east US than the west."

The Jet Stream isn't actually higher in the west, but the average surface elevation IS much higher, of course. Since surface heating has a lot to do with surface temperature, the widespread higher elevations in the west result in an overall warmer lower atmosphere, compared to similar altitude in the east.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

In SW Pa we had 2 frosts after leafout in Fayette county. My area had leafout in late April. On I 70 salt is likely an issue, but I will give you a possible "witches broom" growth reason. I have seen tractors with what I can only describe as mower decks mounted on mechanical "arms". They lift the bladed mower decks up and the arms make the blade decks cut back whatever hangs over the road surface. That's my educated guess for the weird growth of the trees.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Thanks. I like these kind of posts.

"Up there, around 2500 ft elevation, some of the oaks were barely in the bud-swell/catkins stage...is that normal? "

Whatever the official adiabatic lapse rate is the not very high elevation towns of Binghampton, NY and Altoona, PA attest to the fact that for the first 1000 ft. or so, you will see almost a 6F drop compared to Islip, NY or suburban Philly. (areas deliberately excluding the "heat island" issue) So that's going to slow down spring progression a lot; and as other mentioned it already was a slow spring this year, with late frosts. As I've posted before it's surprising if you drive north of Sunbury or Scranton PA to areas only about 1600-2000 ft. in elevation, the scenery starts to look surprisingly alpine in terms of flora at least. Hemlocks and naturalizing Larix in the former, white birches for the latter.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

I can look up at 2200' Tussey mnt (PA) nearby & see the top still isn't fully emerged. Up there is mostly oak w/scattered patches of VA, pitch & E white pine.

• famartin
    10 years ago

Near State College, beng? I didn't think there were Virginia Pine up there... though I have seen Table Mountain.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

famartin, right at the PA/MD border, on the MD side.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So it sounds pretty typical.

I also noticed a few years ago in Massachusetts driving from the NW suburbs of Boston to Cape Cod around June 5, and seeing a similar thing. Out on the Cape the trees looked like late April here in MD, but in and NW of Boston everything was well into full leaf. This was several days into June.

My guess is the cold ocean waters keep the area much, much cooler than interior MA.