Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
October glory maple leaves are wilting and brown :(

Posted by trinagwyn North eastern OK (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 10:46

First time home owner here, and I have a October Glory Maple that was planted in Sept-Oct of last year. I live in Oklahoma and this spring it has been raining like spring weather should. I went away for the weekend, and it was a hot weekend, so the tree didn't get watered. I noticed in the last week the leaves have drooped and now have a burnt chrisp look to them. I water twice a week for 20 minutes at a time, soil below is moist, and I have mulch to help. Please help me!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: October glory maple leaves are wilting and brown :(

Another picture

o

And another

o

you should water.. when they need water.. rather than on some schedule ... insert figure and find out.. and dont water until its near dry down there ...

is your soil clay ... ???

did you amend the planting hole???

any wind storms related to the rain.. just as the leaves were emerging??? .. is the damage on one side?????

any intense cold.. as in forst freeze.. since it leafed out????

i cant tell what going on with the trunk ... it looks bound.. wrapped.. and staked ... i am wondering if any of that is necessary ... pic of the whole tree please ...

i would not be all that concerned.. about a little cosmetic leaf damage ... but it is good you are asking.. lets see how new growth goes.. and if new leaves are affected... if not.. then it was just weather related phenom ...

ken

o

I will pay attention to the soil more than just watering it on a schedule-my soil isn't clay and I didn't plant it so I'm unsure if an amending hole was done. The wind has been crazy here for the last two weeks, so yes with the rain has come some powerful winds (hailed once too) plus I'm in a new housing development so there isn't much blockage right now. It leafed out great, I thought yeah I'm a good green thumb for a first timer, and then it rained and froze one night, but I was unsure about that being the problem. All my neighbors trees don't look like this so I thought I did something to,cause it. The trunk is bound to a bamboo stick, and if can tell you it's needed-the tree would have broke without it bc of the crazy wind. Thanks for your help on this-not sure what to do :)

o

It looks to me like Anthracnose fungi which is relayed to excessive moisture. I would look into that. See link below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Anthracnose Fungi

o

I'm hoping that is what it is. I read that article seems there isn't much I can do right now other than pay attention to the dirt and not water it on a schedule. I'm hoping this is what it is-Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here