Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any way to save this tree?

Posted by Robin0782 Indiana (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 10:47

Hello. I've got a small, 13-15 foot tree in my back yard that isn't doing so well. Last year we had a serious drought and the leaves began to turn brown and die in late July if I recall correctly. Prior to this, the tree had healthy leaves all the way up. This year it has no leaves growing up top. The base of the trunk is also looking pretty bad, almost like it was stripped off on one side. The trunk has been this way for at least a few years. So, my question obviously boils down to, should I try and save it, or just cut it down and start over with something new? I appreciate any advice.

This post was edited by Robin0782 on Sun, May 25, 14 at 10:50

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any way to save this tree?

Here's the trunk.

o

The tree is in very bad condition and should be removed/replaced.

o

what he said.. its simply not worth the time nor the effort ...

when seeking a replacement.. keep the power lines in mind ...

and on replacement ... include a min 3 foot circle of mulch ... to keep the idiot with the weedwhip away from it... and i am the king of the weedwhip idiots in my yard ... lol ...3 feet sometimes isnt enough ...

this isnt all related to the WWhip ... but i am sure.. if such was used.. it didnt help ...

prime tree planting time is not the heat of summer.. so make some plans for fall planting.. if you can find fresh stock.. that hasnt sat at bigboxstore since spring planting time in april ...

ken

o

Thanks for the info. I figured it was too far gone to be worth rescuing. I will see what I can find come fall.

o

Could you save it? Sure. Do you want to? Probably not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here