Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my crabapple?

Posted by casolorz 6a (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 11:00

The trunks on most of my crabapple trees look like the picture, some better, some worse. I've already had a few die, the ones which haven't died look like they are doing great but the trunks worry me. Is this something I can cure somehow?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my crabapple?

Looks like canker disease, probably initiated in the two pruning cuts. Looks pretty well advanced.
hortster

o
A second thought

Your comment, "...most of my crabapple trees look like the picture..." made me recall an incident where a dead branch caused by an active canker infection was removed in a nursery situation, and the pruner tool was not sterilized between cuts, spreading the canker and damaging many trees over time. If your trees are mostly of the same cultivar or perhaps are other succeptible cultivars the disease may have been spread by the pruning tool.
hortster

o

That happened at the nursery where I work with some crabapples. Besides sterilizing the shears between cuts, it also helps not to prune them on a wet day. Does not bode well for these crabs.

o

Interesting, the trees with the issues did come from the same place. Is there a way to treat canker?

o

No. What's done is done.

The point the previous posts were making is that likely your crabapple trees are susceptible to a serious problem. Further, it will get worse instead of better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here