Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reliable Mailorder Sources for Halesia

Posted by marcindy z5b, Indianapolis, I (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 11:15

Hello, I am looking for a mailorder source of seedlings (preferred) or seeds (second choice) of the true larger form of silverbell, Halesia tetraptera var. monticola. So far I have not found any source that can confirm that their seedlings or seeds are indeed the monticola variety. I find that when you start to dig deeper they tend to become vague as to the provenance of their sources. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a reliable source?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestion you can give. Also, if anyone happens to have access to seed of the true monticola variety please pm me, I would be very grateful in working out an arrangement to get some true monticola seed or seedlings.

Thanks a bunch!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reliable Mailorder Sources for Halesia

well, forestfarm in oregon's catalog lists both h. monticula and h. monticula "arnold pink" (a cutting or grafted selection) so if you haven't already you might contact them. good luck. you might also contact greer gardens (www.greergardens.com) and perhaps look up the web address of gossler farms and see what their online catalogs might have. all 3 places are in oregon and shipping back east may or may not be a problem at this time of year. good luck.

o

Plant and Seed Sources
11 search result(s) for Halesia Ellis & L. (Styracaceae) monticola Sarg.

Nursery sources; click on the name for more information

Retail Nurseries (that ship)
Broken Arrow Nursery Hamden CT USA Web Site
Klehm's Song Sparrow Farm & Nursery Avalon WI USA Web Site
Shooting Star Nursery Georgetown KY USA Web Site

Here is a link that might be useful: http://plantinfo.umn.edu/

o

Look at Rarefind nursery in NJ website. I remember seeing some form in their catalog (paper catalog) of Helisia. I think it's best if you check the website, due to availability. They may have at one time had them, but now don't.

o

• Posted by marcindy z5b, Indianapolis, I (My Page) on
    Tue, May 27, 14 at 10:51

Thank you for the suggestions!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here