Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink slime inside dead Elm from property next to a gas station

Posted by colinp123 5A (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 11:21

Hi All,

My neighbour, who lives next to a gas station, recently cut down some dead trees along the shared property line. We suspect, given the fact that the gas station has been around since the 1920s, that the ground is contaminated and the trees have soaked up decades worth of oil, gas, diesel, and other fossil fuels and made the inside of the tree pink. I've posted a link to some pics below.

Can anyone confirm if this is in fact gas? Would anyone know the name of the disease? Is this the likely reason for the tree's death? It was an old Elm tree..... (no, it's not likely beetle-borne Dutch Elm disease).

http://imgur.com/a/i5cNP

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Slime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink slime inside dead Elm from property next to a gas statio

chain saw bar oil???

do you have any scientific proof of these comments:

that the ground is contaminated and the trees have soaked up decades worth of oil, gas, diesel, and other fossil fuels and made the inside of the tree pink.

or do you just have a consensus of whomever you are talking about in the plural?? .. or is this the royal WE???

ken

o

IMHO,
While there MAY be in fact contaminates that may or may not have had something to do with the trees deaths, I don't believe that is what you are seeing here. If you note in your pictures that the center of the wood seems to be discolored darker and appears to be "wet". Also note that the pink coloration seems to be on the edge of that wet looks, or seems to be associated with decay in some photos. This leads me to believe this is a product of the process of breaking down the wood. MANY microorganism are colored, or produce or excrete pigments when certain conditions are meet. Fungi, Slim Molds, Cyanobacteria are all frequently to typically colored, and all would have members that would be very happy in the conditions of a decaying tree trunk.

Just my $0.02
Arktrees

o

I think Arktrees is on the right track. The effect os called spalting, and woodworkers sometimes like to use such wood.

The link below shows red spalting in box elder wood

Here is a link that might be useful: red spalting in box elder wood

o

I believe we are looking at box elder. Every one I've ever cut into, and that's a lot, has this red coloration.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here