Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Willow help needed!!

Posted by skeeterbella none (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 11:28

My 5 year old willow tree looks like it is dying. We thought initially that Roundup being sprayed close by was the reason but on closer inspection there are white stringy things coming out of the trunk and increasing daily. I haven't been able to find out what this is and I really want to save my tree! Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Willow help needed!!

"White stringy things coming out of the trunk?"

Any chance you could get us some photos. That would help a lot.

In lieu of that, one guess, is is frass (caterpillar poop and residue) from some kind of trunk borer -- willows are pretty prone to borers?

o

Thanks, I posted a picture in the photo gallery with the caption tree board. The tree was all nice and green and then suddenly started dying.

Here is a link that might be useful: willow photo

o

The picture doesn't give enough real detail to tell exactly what the white objects are. They don't really appear to me to be something "coming out of the trunk", but rather, something falling down from above, most likely spent catkins from either the willow or some other nearby tree. However, as I said, can't really tell from the image posted.

o

Thanks for looking. I have found what I think it is based on some pictures I found on the internet. Asian Ambrosia Beetles. The frass comes out of the trunk and is white just like with my willow. Sadly all advice says remove the tree and burn it:(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here