Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish_gw

First dogwood, where to plant? (should I move this crabapple?)

coatfetish
10 years ago

A warning - I'm going to post several pics to help describe my dilemma.
I've always wanted a pink dogwood, and today a nursery was handing out free ones to the 1st 100 people. I don't know what kind they are - I did overhear them telling someone these weren't Cherokee Princess like last year (which means nothing to me since I know nothing about dogwoods yet) Mine is about 3' tall and bare root, so I'd like to either plant it today or heel it in to tide it over. The ground is saturated due to two weeks worth of rains.

Anyhow, I live on a cramped mobile home lot. I have a mature crabapple, as well as a young one I've had for three years. They are 20' (from the trunks) from each other, in a line that's 12' from the home. The new one is planted 22" from the corner of my porch (I know that's really tight). I picked this young tree out specifically because it didn't have any branches on one side - so I would have less to prune to keep it clear of the porch. When it's taller I'll be able to walk under it fine while on the porch. I know how weird it sounds, but I have no other cover and the mobile home gets sickeningly hot in the summer. Since the 1st tree did so well to shade the kitchen area I planted the second one to shade the living room. They had to be so close to the house because my lot is narrow and I didn't want them to overhang onto the neighbors - and they won't. This winter will be the first year I prune the young tree - I waited 3 years on the advice of others. The young crabapple is very lush and healthy (as is the mature one).
My question is, does it look like I made a really bad decision putting it there? I am considering moving it to make room for the little pink dogwood I got today, but I don't know how sturdy/healthy/strong pink dogwoods are, and from my reading it sounds like the dogwood matures to the same size as the crabapple (they are Profusion, btw. I know people here don't like them but I didn't know any better). I'd hate to move a healthy shade providing tree to make room for one that might fail.

My other location option (for either the young crabapple or the dogwood) is a spot at the back of my yard. I worry about what effect shade will have on my viburnum, if any? I will give space measurements in my photo attachments.

I know this was wordy and may seem dumb to you, but I hope I will get some opinions/advice.
Thanks!

A pic of the two crabapples. Trunks are 20' apart. The mature one has been easy to prune to keep branches from touching the home/roof. I hoped to do the same with the little young crabapple...

Comments (3)