Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The fourth and final tree to ID

Posted by sarah_and_ben Central Mass (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 11:30

Thanks for all the help! This is the last tree that the former owners planted for us. There are three of these little trees in a cluster.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The fourth and final tree to ID

peach. notice too the previous owner is pruning it to branch low (leader cut off) and the tree is in the process of being "stone fruit" pruned.

If it turns out to be an apricot, excuse me! ;-)

Dax

o

Dax - What does "Stone Fruit Pruned" mean? Excuse my ignorance, just curious though. Thanks - Matt

o

You're keeping it at a dwarf height. Usually (3) branches are selected 9" apart in height that begin ~30" up from the ground and each of the three branches are growing in opposing directions from the others. If you google: pruning stone fruit trees or pruning peaches i.e. and view images you'll learn, Matt.

Stone fruits are peaches, apricots, plums, nectarines and other fruits with a large "stone" seed in their center. Cherries can be pruned like this or they may be pruned like apples/pears are... Google apple or pear pruning as well. Two different approaches to fruit tree pruning and production.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here