Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jacaranda minosifolia looking sad. how to make it happy again?

Posted by mushibu10 zone 8 (UK) (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 11:47

hello,

so my jacaranda has been grown from seed I doors for now 5 months, it was started in a three-by-three-by-four inch pot, when it reached six inches I put it into its current pot.
I have tried this tree now around ten times. all previous attempts died before repotting, I have found they love moist soil not wet, so I give them, 30ml in morning and 10ml in evening. it loves dilapidated shade, so I hAve it growing under a basic growlight (125watt 6400k CFL blue light)
recently the tree has been looking sad. as you can see it looks like it's wilting, I don't know why, I have stopped the evening watering and it's not helped. I have not fed the tree yet. (once every two months; I don't want it huge quickly)
I removed the lower leaves (ones with less than ten small leaves) see if that helps, so it has less to work with. but I think it may have been that, that has caused it to weaken as it now has less photosynthesis.

it being a sub-tropical plant I won't be putting it outside till middle of June. as it's still 7 to 12�c at night - too cold -
what is the growth habit of the tree? - are the leaves weeping like or do they form an umbrella like canopy?
I am aware that it may never flower here in UK,

if I was to 'pinch' the growing tip out would it be far to early to do it? shall I let it 'branch' on its own?

I don't want. it to be more than 4/5ft tall as it gets older as I want to be able to keep it indoors at winter.
I am also aware it's a deciduous plant, now I have noticed it dropping one or two leaf lets now and again but I think that maybe as I am sleeping with windows open and the slight cold draft?

is it a possible bonsai specimen? if so when should I start? year old or what?

sorry for rather alot to ask.

thank you
leo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jacaranda minosifolia looking sad. how to make it happy again

Doubtful these would make very good bonsai specimens. They become huge trees as you probably know.

I do think you can pinch them back, BUT if there's not enough light, the plant won't have the vigor to generate multiple growths.

Outside of a trip to California or Spain, or a vacation outdoors, I don't know what else to say.

o

so you're saying it may look 'sad' as there isn't enough light?

and yeah I am aware it gets huge! but I am prepares to have it against wall indoors with a more powerful growlight (300-600w dual spectrum the HPS bulb) and have it as a centre piece.! I ha e a coconut palm (seedling at moment 5'3") that grows same place as jacaranda.

maybe once it gets to big I'll have to sell/donate

leo

o

I don't think these are known for being amenable to container culture. It might grow for a few years, but it is unlikely to bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here