Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Flowering Dogwood

Posted by jcuv11 zone 4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 11:51

I have a pink flowering dogwood that I planted in April of 2013 and we had a very long, long winter in Northern New York and I am wondering if this tree is still alive. I also put down lawn fertilizer. I was pretty careful to not get it to close to the root base but was wondering if this could have caused it not to bloom yet either. All other trees that I have just started blooming within the past week due to the cold weather. Here is a picture of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Flowering Dogwood

Check and scratch the bark see if its green when you scratch the bark if not its probably dead but you can buy a new one fairly cheap

o

Don't I see buds? Can you post a closer view?

o

Looks like buds to me, Flora.
Give it a little more time. You should see changes in a matter of days, depending on the weather.
Mike

o

Here is a little closer look. Sorry about the lack of focus I need a new phone!

o

My three mature Cornus florida dogwoods look terrible this year. One has dead flower buds that look just like yours. There is black right under the buds before the greenish live feeling parts of the stem.

My guess is a late freeze got mine not absolute cold but who knows.

o

Hi, I am in OH. I think you guys had a harder winter than us (not that ours was good either) but my flowering dogwood just bloomed late last week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here