Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify cherry tree disease

Posted by Stefan_Z Shelter Island, NY (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 12:04

I think its an 'Okame Cherry'. Pink blossomed top to bottom early spring but since then took a turn is now struggling to grow leaves (patchy), the bark doesnt look right peeling etc.
We had an extremely brutal winter this year, soil in the area is slightly acidic and sandy. Its my parents tree I don't think its fed regularly.
Please help my identify the problem.
Thank you.
S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify cherry tree disease

pic

o

pic

o

a tree does not need to be fed ... nor is that a remedy ...

these are rather short lived trees.. when contemplated in tree years ... it most likely past its prime ...

and i wonder if decades back.. it was in full sun.. like its supposed to be ... and in the interim ... it is now in shade .????

that slight leaf damage.. wouldnt bother me at all ... and i wouldnt do anything about it ...

ken

o

Thanks for the response,
the tree is only 7 years old and it gets pretty solid southern light, about 3/4. Its been very healthy in the past, obviously the brutal winter has affected it this year and its evident.
I guess I'm just curious what can be done to shore up its vitality before pests and disease take over.. Is the trunk supposed to look that jacked up? I cant remember ever seeing it that rough?

after its leafed in a few weeks should I prune anything that hasn't leafed?

any basic soil amendments, fertilizers fungicides or pesticides recommended? Id like to be proactive about keeping this tree healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here