Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookelou65

Apple Tree Help

brookelou65
9 years ago

I have a 40+ apple tree in my backyard. It has been progressively getting worse of the past 5 years. I'm not sure if it is even possible to save but maybe it is possible to stave of its decay. The apple tree is a mate to another apple tree close by. Which isn't doing horribly well or good. The problem with the decaying apple tree is that ants have invaded. There used to just be a small hole at the base of the trunk but they've peeled away the bark and increased the size of the hole drastically. They caused such rotting that it split in two and half fell off. (yes half of the entire tree) We tried spraying the ants but didn't want to hurt the tree or poison our woodland critters. We know nothing of trees but have a lot of old land with various old trees on it and want to save the mate to our other apple tree. The ants come back to the tree every year. They tried to invaded the other apple tree through a hole midway up it but we sprayed that black spray to seal trees all of the inside of the hole. The ants haven't come back to that tree and its doing well now for the most part. Don't you need at least one male and female apple tree to produce fruit? both of our produce fruit but if one completely dies off will the other still bare fruit?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022