Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anamandy

Mixing my dogs ashes with new tree planting

lovetogarden
10 years ago

Can I mix the ashes of my deceased dog with the soil planting for my new tree? I'll be planting a flowering plum and wonder if it might change the ph of the soil too much. Anyone have any idea?

Comments (7)

• rogerzone6
    10 years ago

Probably won't hurt. However there are far better choices for a legacy tree than a Plum. They are short lived, 20-25 years if you are lucky. Ours is in decline after just 9. if you like the maroon leaves, lookup American Smoke tree. Sorry about the dog. We have a similar situation and I had contemplated the same. But we are not sure if this is our last home. New Jersey is expensive.

• lovetogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Roger. I have 2 smoke trees on my property but they are really shrubs. I'm looking for a tree that will fit in just the right spot and flowering plum fits the bill. I have considered a tri-colored beech (breathtaking) but it tends to scorce in the sun and will get too big for the area. Since I'm in my 50s already time is not a problem - though 9 years, as in the case of your tree, is a little short. I've done some research and found that the variety Newport is supposed to be extremely hardy. I'm more concerned about the disease Black Knot than the cold though. Hopefully I won't ever have to deal with that.

Just curious, was your flowering plum in a sheltered spot and sited properly? My aunt had one on her property in Ticonderoga, NY (don't know the variety) that my uncle planted over 30 years ago and it was still doing well in a sheltered, well drained sunny spot near her house until her death 2 years ago. What I loved about it was that it didn't get bigger than 20' (I have a corner property with plenty of overhead lines) and it had a very open form that gave it a delicate look which didn't shade out the rest of her garden. That's what I'm looking for. Anyway, I'm willing to take the risk and see what happens. I'm getting the tree from an excellent nursery that will replace and replant the tree at no charge if it fails within 2 years. Just the fact that I'm getting professionals to plant it (which is costing half the price of the tree) will hopefully give the plant a good start. Again, thanks for the info and suggestions. Ana

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i got rid of mine after 10 years.. last year.. just burned its remnants ...

it also suffers from gummosis ... in addition to the black knot ...

same with the tree at the previous house.

as well as the one at dad's house ...

each in different cities ... 3 decades of experience with them ....

you can do so much better than a purple plum ...

what about a weeping copper beech.. train it as high as you want/need .. and let it cascade back down ???? . i do knot favor the lollipop version ...

see link and latin name ... and double check zone ....

so much more an heirloom in honor of your dog ... IMHO ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Sorry about your dog.

How much ashes you have and how big of a transplant you ultimately go with would determine if it would work for you.

tj

• lovetogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi guys, just wanted to give you all a follow-up. The nursery couldn't get the Newport Plum after all and so I settled on a Royal Raindrops crabapple. It's a new variety with serated purplish red leaves and pink bud and rosy red flowers. It has excellent disease resistance to all the major diseases. The nursery planted it today. Still wondering if it would be alright to move a little of the soil around and plant my dog's ashes there or would it change the ph too much? Any more info appreciated. Thanks.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

According to introducing nursery fire-blight and mildew resistance is "good" rather than excellent. I grow the tree myself but I am not in a fire-blight area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Raindrops Crabapple

• lovetogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi bboy, I don't live in a fireblight area either. At least I never saw it in my area before. My main concern was with cedar apple rust since there are cedars right down the block from me. But this shrub has excellent resistance to that disease.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022