Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarabell

How long should it take a dogwood to wake up after transplant?

sarabell
14 years ago

I picked up 3 potted white-flowering dogwoods about a month, month and a half ago, planted them right away; they are about 4' tall. I know that these trees can take a while to 'wake up' after transplanting, but I am getting a little worried-- they show no signs of waking up yet-- save for one of the trees, which has a small green shoot coming out, but no leafing or anything like that.

(I have been diligent about watering them deeply, not TOO often, but def. not letting the soil dry out to much, they are planted according to the instructions I always read here-- no amending the hole, according size, etc. They are mulched w/ finished compost.)

Do I need to give it more time? Any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Should leaf out at same time as others nearby.

• sarabell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, bboy. :) Unfortunately, I don't know that there are any nearby-- I've read about them mostly on the web, I can't tell what trees are what other than the ones I know, IRL. KWIM? (blushing over the message board = me). I usually buy my trees at a local place where the experts are very helpful, these I bought on more of a whim (though I'd wanted some for a while) at Lowe's, without talking to the guys who normally help w/ my tree info.

There's almost nothing that isn't leafed out yet just from Winter's slumber, here, though. So that bodes poorly for the dogwoods? I have read that the dogwoods take a long time to 'wake up' after transplant, is why I was holding out hope. I'm sure raspberries are different-- but I know of all the raspberries I put in this early Spring, some leafed out right away, some took a month to start for some reason; and all were later to awaken than the raspberries that were already in my yard from last year. I'm hoping like with those, there's still reason to hope?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

where did you 'pick them up' ...

and why werent they leafing out.. in zone 5... in early may????

have you tried the scratch test????

ken

• sarabell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got them at Lowe's, against my better judgement (normally I go to the local nursery where I talk to the very knowledgable people, but didn't talk to anyone at Lowe's-- I just had considered dogwoods for a long time, and saw them for a low price).
    It was not early May, it was early-mid April-- there were trees at the time that weren't leafing out-- if that should have told me they were dead at the time, I didn't know it. Just figured dogwoods weren't out of dormancy yet.

I'll scratch, Ken, I guess I'm a little scared to (& can't seem to get the search function to work here for more specifics?). Should I do it on a branch, or right on the trunk, or what?

• sarabell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, I did a google search to make sure I was scratching correctly-- the one tree with the tiny bit of growth (no leafing, though) is green underneath (the little branches aren't, only the main trunk/stem), the other two are not. Bah, Lowe's! Last time I see a great "deal" I can't pass up!

OK, any ideas how long I should give that *one* to 'wake up?' lol

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

i would exercise my warranty at the bigboxstore

ken

• sarabell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol I will! (I am bummed though! I was excited for them. Bah!)