Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

low pruned prairie fire crabapple

v1rt
14 years ago

I have a multi trunk crabapple. Yesterday, I saw 3 multi trunk crabapples where the bottom parts are bald or have been pruned. The group of leaves on top formed like a circle and my impression was, it was beautiful. They made it appear like a tree. :D

I'm thinking of doing mine like that but I would like hear some feedbacks first before I do that.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Removing the foliage around the lower trunks is no problem. I don't know what you meant though when you wrote, "the group of leaves on top formed like a circle..."

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh, sorry, I am bad at description. I meant, the tree looks almost like this and I really like how it looks. I don't like how mine looks like right now. It looks like a large shrub.

This is how I wanted mine to look. I'm sorry, it wasn't circle, just bald bottom :D

{{gwi:357888}}

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

I agree, the tree in your picture is well formed and attractive. It may take a little work (depending on what yours looks like now), but you should be able to approximate this look. You may have to remove suckers ever now and then, but I don't know of any disadvantage or concern unless you have thought of something.

BTW, that's a nice looking lawn too. The small mulch volcano around the tree in the background is less than desirable.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just got this picture on the web. The mulch I guess is incorrect. It shouldn't be covering the root flare.

Thanks for the help. :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

here is your problem ...

crabapples are trees...

crabapples should be maintained.. pruned.. like trees ...

you say your looks like a bush .. and that is the problem.. a tree should NOT look like a bush ...

i am not sure i like crabs in clumping form.. but hey.. to each his or her own ....

start limbing yours up .... all my TREES are limbed high enough that my eyes are safe.. while riding the lawnmower ... no use having flowering trees.. if they poke your eyes out.. eh????

invest in a good pruning saw ... ask if you do NOT know how to prune off a branch ..

an actual picture of your TREE might help with the process ...

ken

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just saw your post Ken.

I've already pruned it half an hour ago.

Here are the pics.

Not sure if it improved, LOL! Hahaha.

{{gwi:357889}}

{{gwi:357890}}

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Looks better!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

great job ...

i would.. increase the mulch ring a foot all around ..

and personally.. i would take off one or two of the lowest branches ... but again.. just my preference..

and the lime tree behind... get rid of that dangling branch.. either by shortening it.. so it holds itself upright.. like it is supposed to ... or by complete removal ... one reason to do that.. besides the eye thing.. is to keep the rug rats from grabbing and trying to swing on it.. and damaging the tree ... unless that is your playscape.. and you dont have kids... lol ...

finally.. way too much grass... get a move on the rest of the garden.. lol

ken

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

finally.. way too much grass... get a move on the rest of the garden.. lol

Ken, I'm getting there :D I converted more than 2000+ sqft of lawn to instant bed this year. I'll do more next year because I got so tired. I still have tons of perennials and annuals to plant.

Check out my garden plan. You will see the transition. Also, I don't recall if I posted a pic of left bed and right bed meeting at the middle. It shows on the drawing.

However, I think something is missing on the crabapple area and the lime tree(honeylocust). Looks like I need to create a bed there too but can't figure out what shape to use. :D

Thanks brandon.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden plan

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH