Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
low pruned prairie fire crabapple

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 12:14

I have a multi trunk crabapple. Yesterday, I saw 3 multi trunk crabapples where the bottom parts are bald or have been pruned. The group of leaves on top formed like a circle and my impression was, it was beautiful. They made it appear like a tree. :D

I'm thinking of doing mine like that but I would like hear some feedbacks first before I do that.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: low pruned prairie fire crabapple

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, May 27, 09 at 14:25

Removing the foliage around the lower trunks is no problem. I don't know what you meant though when you wrote, "the group of leaves on top formed like a circle..."

o

oh, sorry, I am bad at description. I meant, the tree looks almost like this and I really like how it looks. I don't like how mine looks like right now. It looks like a large shrub.

This is how I wanted mine to look. I'm sorry, it wasn't circle, just bald bottom :D

o

Wed, May 27, 09 at 16:06

I agree, the tree in your picture is well formed and attractive. It may take a little work (depending on what yours looks like now), but you should be able to approximate this look. You may have to remove suckers ever now and then, but I don't know of any disadvantage or concern unless you have thought of something.

BTW, that's a nice looking lawn too. The small mulch volcano around the tree in the background is less than desirable.

o

I just got this picture on the web. The mulch I guess is incorrect. It shouldn't be covering the root flare.

Thanks for the help. :)

o

here is your problem ...

crabapples are trees...

crabapples should be maintained.. pruned.. like trees ...

you say your looks like a bush .. and that is the problem.. a tree should NOT look like a bush ...

i am not sure i like crabs in clumping form.. but hey.. to each his or her own ....

start limbing yours up .... all my TREES are limbed high enough that my eyes are safe.. while riding the lawnmower ... no use having flowering trees.. if they poke your eyes out.. eh????

invest in a good pruning saw ... ask if you do NOT know how to prune off a branch ..

an actual picture of your TREE might help with the process ...

ken

o

I just saw your post Ken.

I've already pruned it half an hour ago.

Here are the pics.

Not sure if it improved, LOL! Hahaha.

o

Thu, May 28, 09 at 8:57

Looks better!

o

great job ...

i would.. increase the mulch ring a foot all around ..

and personally.. i would take off one or two of the lowest branches ... but again.. just my preference..

and the lime tree behind... get rid of that dangling branch.. either by shortening it.. so it holds itself upright.. like it is supposed to ... or by complete removal ... one reason to do that.. besides the eye thing.. is to keep the rug rats from grabbing and trying to swing on it.. and damaging the tree ... unless that is your playscape.. and you dont have kids... lol ...

finally.. way too much grass... get a move on the rest of the garden.. lol

ken

o

finally.. way too much grass... get a move on the rest of the garden.. lol

Ken, I'm getting there :D I converted more than 2000+ sqft of lawn to instant bed this year. I'll do more next year because I got so tired. I still have tons of perennials and annuals to plant.

Check out my garden plan. You will see the transition. Also, I don't recall if I posted a pic of left bed and right bed meeting at the middle. It shows on the drawing.

However, I think something is missing on the crabapple area and the lime tree(honeylocust). Looks like I need to create a bed there too but can't figure out what shape to use. :D

Thanks brandon.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden plan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here